Half a tank's size

Questions and answers about the how and why of making maps.
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Half a tank's size

Post by ducatiwannabe »

I'm having trouble figuring out what variables I need to do and how I need to do them so that I can make a tank half its normal size.

Everytime I try to mess with those variables it messes everything completely up, yet I know it's possible, because I've seen it.

I think it's like a tank having the tiny flag? Yet I need it to actually act like the tank is tiny. The best I've ever gotten is to make a tank look big or small, yet it has the same hit/jump/whateverelse size.

If somebody who knows how would give me a pm I'd appreciate it! 8)
dango
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dango »

i've done this before making everything half size, have barrel hieght, jump, ect. The barrel height will get screwed up if you set it lower than it is by default, though.

_muzzleheight <how high the shots and hits are>
_jumpvelocity <how high you jump, (depends on gravity)>
_gravity <effects the jump hieght.>

I'm not sure what the formula for the velocity and gracity thing is, can someone help me?
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

Well, I have a minimap up at a server, and at the moment, everything is perfect, save that the tanks aren't small like everything else. If there is anyway to make them like...tiny without a flag...that'd be great. :) I appreciate your help.

If I'm not mistaken it's _muzzleHeight, and a bunch of _tank something variables.
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

Dude, why make EVERYTHING smaller? Where's the difference..?
Just increase tank speed...

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007
dango
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dango »

why not make everything bigger to simulate them tinyer? Lowering muzzle hieght will mess up the game. (you know what happens if you burrow to deep or if you fly too high?)
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

People seem to like the minimap as it is. :) thanks for your time anyway...
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

I'm no expert, but in my experience...

_tankHeight, _tankWidth, _tankLength can be change in-game, but players don't see the changes until they re-join.
_muzzleHeight changes the height of your shots and the height of the view out your front window.

But _tankRadius affects collision detection (collisions with bullets). If you raise all the other tank size vars, you'll be able to shoot thru the front and backs of tanks, and shots that appear to be just to the left or right of a tank will kill it.
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
TD-Linux
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by TD-Linux »

Optic Delusion wrote:I'm no expert, but in my experience...

_tankHeight, _tankWidth, _tankLength can be change in-game, but players don't see the changes until they re-join.
_muzzleHeight changes the height of your shots and the height of the view out your front window.

But _tankRadius affects collision detection (collisions with bullets). If you raise all the other tank size vars, you'll be able to shoot thru the front and backs of tanks, and shots that appear to be just to the left or right of a tank will kill it.
Yes, that is the trick - you must rejoin to see your changes take effect.

Another trick - often, some variables are set to things that reference other variables. If this is the case, they won't be updated when the other variables are. To make them update their values according to the variable values they are based on, simply /reset them.