Mouse Click or "i" to start

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
Chazula
Private
Private

Mouse Click or "i" to start

Post by Chazula »

It wont let me spawn. I can chat to teammates and everyone else, but i cant spawn.
bzflaginator
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by bzflaginator »

Did you try pressing right mouse or "i"?? If so, go to Options>Input Settings>Change Key Mapping and make sure that nothing is conflicting. Did you try restarting your client?
"He that falls in love with himself will have no rivals."
birdie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by birdie »

look into key mapping in options and see what keys are mapped for spawning
Teppic
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Teppic »

birdie wrote:look into key mapping in options and see what keys are mapped for spawning
The client tells you what buttons/keys are mapped when its time to spawn, if you change them the message changes.
Enigma
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Enigma »

Sometimes people accidentally press 'u' instead of 'i'. 'u' activates hunt. Once 'u' is pressed for the first time, 'i' has a different function - it cycles through the list of players to allow you to select someone to hunt. So if you can't spawn, check the scoreboard for "hunt->" next to one of the names. If it is there, press 'u' again to turn it off. Now pressing 'i' should let you spawn again.
bzflaginator
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by bzflaginator »

haha. Very good slayer. I didnt even think about that...
A Vicious Muffin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Vicious Muffin »

This has been happening to me frequently. I restart the client, make sure the port and server name is correct, even check to make sure I'm not pressing hunt. Nothing. How come?
Sherade
Private
Private

Post by Sherade »

It's hapening with me too. And like Muffin dude up there, nothing works
Chazula
Private
Private

Post by Chazula »

tried all this stuff and nothing. im trying to connect to hepcat. but its the same on all the servers i have tried.

here is how it goes:
start game
select "find server"
down arrow to "hepcat"
hit enter
"connect"
hit enter
Global Login Approved
"Press right mouse or "i" "
press "i"
wait few minutes and then i start seeing the game ongoing in the background and i am listed in the player list with everyone else, but the "press right mouse or "i" " message is still there.

I have not remapped any keys or anything. is this a bug? is there a fix? if anyone else has had this problem and figured it out, please let me know.
GMMan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by GMMan »

That reminds me. Wait until you can see the game and then press <i>. If you press it before that, it won't do anything, until the client has connected to the server and is ready. It happens to me sometimes, but I just wait for the game to connect. If you don't get any change for about a minute, forget it and try again later. When you connect to the server, it just sends connection data to the server and the server sends back what needs to be downloaded. The game doesn't start until the server feeds a stead flow of game data to the client.
I haven't touched BZFlag for years, but maybe sometime I'll make a comeback.

I'm on Twitter. And I mess with webOS. This signature is not a blog.
bzflaginator
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by bzflaginator »

Hmmm sometimes when I lag really bad, at start up, it takes almost 5 minutes to spawn then I check my lagstats and its over 1000 on some servers. Just check things out. If nothing works, try reinstalling the client?
hookah
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by hookah »

yep it is lag. If you are American try to play on American players, if you are European play on european servers. If you have on both servers, i mean on American and European servers lag, it means you have bad connection
A Vicious Muffin
Private First Class
Private First Class

I don't think it is entirely. It is very well lag when you're trying to connect to a server on Jupiter, but sometimes I get it on mofo and boxy war, which are in my country, near to me. I think boxy is though...
Sherade
Private
Private

Post by Sherade »

Noob question: How do you know the country?
A Vicious Muffin
Private First Class
Private First Class

The country? You can often tell by the domain at the end. You just have to know what each one means. Here's a list:

.com=usually U.S
.de=Germany
.fr=France
.us=U.S
.nl=Netherlands
.au=Austrailia
.ca=Canada

I'm not going to sit here listing all of them, but there are many different ones, right here are all of them, I think. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Country_co ... vel_domain

Of course, it might not be entirely accurate.
bzflaginator
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by bzflaginator »

.org most of the time is a european server.

Muffin:
The lag factor is very factual. Sometimes when the servers havent been restarted in a while, the SERVER lag is quite high and might be the issue. I know from experience that is factual :P. But maybe there really is an underlying problem...
DTRemenak
General
General

Post by DTRemenak »

.org is an international generic top level domain. Anyone can register to use one, and there's no correlation to countries. Furthermore, as far as bzflag goes, most servers are hosted on subdomains, so the TLD will tell you just about nothing (i.e. ducati.bzflag.org was in germany, while one.bzflag.org is in utah).
bzflaginator
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by bzflaginator »

Yes this is true. But the most popular servers that you should be worrying about (ones that you will be playing on) will be european and in this case, most of the instances where .org is used it is european. :P
A Looney Kumquat
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Looney Kumquat »

I frequently have this problem myself.

what I do is to just go to the escape menu and leave the server and restart it again- MAKE SURE YOU LEAVE THE SERVER

also- wait until your radar shows people moving around and you hear sounds- this can be the reason many times for being unable to spawn
-ALK

OS Moment <"O""S" mo·ment>
1) Where one can see something bad about to happen, cant do a bloody thing about it, but still has time to say "Oh 5h!t!!!" 2) An action that makes all the surrounding people drop their jaw and say "Oh 5h!t...."
bzflaginator
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by bzflaginator »

This should have no issue. I have tried over and over to click "i" or right click before the game begins and I have no issues yet. Im seriously thinking it is lag. Please next time you run into this, check your lag stats and if it doesn't come up with lag stats immediately, then you are in fact lagging.