admin wars

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
the_j0k3r
Private First Class
Private First Class

admin wars

Post by the_j0k3r »

hi, this seems like a weird idea, but i thought id just put it out there.
i'm not smart with c or anything, so i wouldnt be able to do this, but i thought it might be cool if there was like an adminwars server :P.

it would work kinda like, you sign in, then the server has like an automatic countdown sort of thing and when the game starts all the people are admin, and the idea is to be the last remaining person in the server.

kinda like a strategy game, like try to kick the people who you think will try and kick you, and try get others to fight amongst themselves sort of thing. once you have been kicked, or thrown out, or had admin priveleges taken away by another person or something, you are out of the game and can only join as observer until the next game starts.

critisism welcomed.
A Vicious Muffin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Vicious Muffin »

That. Is. The. Craziest. Thing. I've. Heard. Ever.

How about this, a server where only admins are allowed on. Then they can ffa or ctf on a map. A kicking war? Wow. That's hilarious.

No offense.
L4m3r
Hater of Everything
Hater of Everything

Post by L4m3r »

That would pretty much eliminate the gameplay... something like this would be more fun on IRC.
Optimism is just a milder alternative to denial.
Hannibal
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Hannibal »

I like it.

The 'players-turned-admins' thing..
easy to do. Give the 'kick' perm to 'everyone' or the globally regged. groups, sure. Very simple.
Games don't make people violent, lag does.
ImageImage
Teppic
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Teppic »

Just as simple as scripting a response to mute everyone, then kick at your leasure.
meeba
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by meeba »

IRC is so much better for this. If you do really well, you get glined, too, as an added bonus.

BZflag is for shooting the crud out of one another, not flaming eachother off of servers.
bzflaginator
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by bzflaginator »

Yes and it seems the people who arent admins seem to be supporting this idea :wink: . Sillyness.

How about a game where each person gets 5 deaths, like that of a 1 on 1 game, but when your 5 deaths is up, youre eliminated. It could be all rogue or maybe 2 or 4 teams. Just an idea.
"He that falls in love with himself will have no rivals."
Tropican8
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Tropican8 »

A Vicious Muffin wrote:How about this, a server where only admins are allowed on. Then they can ffa or ctf on a map. A kicking war? Wow. That's hilarious.
Actually I thought about this. Make a server that's a step above other severs. Normal players aren't allowed to spawn, Admins from the major servers are normal players, and server owners are Admins. The level of polish and difficulty would be substantially higher than normal servers, because everyone would know what they are doing. More importantly, the more exotic (HTF, Zombie, etc.) gamemodes might actually then be playable.
Green Manalishi
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Green Manalishi »

i know that's not your intention, but i think there is no need to further emphasize the bzflag hierarchies. many regular players i know are better players than many admins, not to mention cooler people, and to exclude non-admins from a server or gamestyle somehow doesn't sound right to me. :? then again if it's your server you can certainly arrange everything according to your liking. it's just maybe there might be another way to differentiate among people, like inviting them, arranging a server party via PMs etc.. don't know..just my humble two cents.
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

Cruel Dog had a server where everyone was admin his said it didnt work to well
A Vicious Muffin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Maybe we could have a server where only certain specified people are allowed to play on it. I have no idea who, but we could allow admins and owners, along with players with experience. However, this may cause a problem when....it goes like this.

/me joins "experienced mofo players" server
[SERVER]You do not have the skill to play at this server. Have a nice day.
/me bashes computer
/me contacts owner [insert name here] and insults him
Owner gets mad at me and bans me from servers owned by him.

You get the idea that it would end up a segregated bzflag world?
L4m3r
Hater of Everything
Hater of Everything

Post by L4m3r »

A Vicious Muffin wrote:Maybe we could have a server where only certain specified people are allowed to play on it. I have no idea who, but we could allow admins and owners, along with players with experience. However, this may cause a problem when....it goes like this.

/me joins "experienced mofo players" server
[SERVER]You do not have the skill to play at this server. Have a nice day.
/me bashes computer
/me contacts owner [insert name here] and insults him
Owner gets mad at me and bans me from servers owned by him.

You get the idea that it would end up a segregated bzflag world?
In such a case, that would be your fault for insulting the server owner. people are allowed to run private servers if they want (i.e. leagues).
A Vicious Muffin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Yes, there are leauges, I belong to one. The point is that server owners shouldn't be able to pick who can play and who can't on a public server. Sure, you can make a league and prevent anyone you want, but on a public server, no.
bzflaginator
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by bzflaginator »

Yes and honestly if someone feels they want to created a server specified for a certain persons, so be it. I doubt that server will be popular though.
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

hey thats a idea why dont we start a league called: "Admin War" or something and only people who are members of that league/team can talk or spawn on thos servers. then it might help a bit with the people getting mad.
A Vicious Muffin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Oh yea, and then people will be like: "Well, im an admin at my home, 2 vs 2, private server!"

And then we get all mad again... :)
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

A Vicious Muffin wrote:Yes, there are leauges, I belong to one. The point is that server owners shouldn't be able to pick who can play and who can't on a public server. Sure, you can make a league and prevent anyone you want, but on a public server, no.
Gu is not a public server only gu members can play on them. so whats the deference with a admin league?
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

A Vicious Muffin wrote:Oh yea, and then people will be like: "Well, im an admin at my home, 2 vs 2, private server!"

And then we get all mad again... :)
well if its a league then they can join. but like all leagues if they dont do what the rules say they can still get banned :wink: :wink:
L4m3r
Hater of Everything
Hater of Everything

Post by L4m3r »

A Vicious Muffin wrote:Yes, there are leauges, I belong to one. The point is that server owners shouldn't be able to pick who can play and who can't on a public server. Sure, you can make a league and prevent anyone you want, but on a public server, no.
Server owners CAN and DO pick who can and can't play on THEIR "public" servers. Both by allowance (groups) and denial (bans).

Servers are privately-owned, and server owners can do whatever the hell they want as long as they don't abuse bzflag.org's public services in some way. You might not like it, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to do it.

People donate bandwidth and CPU cycles to the game for players to enjoy. They do so entirely out of their own generosity. They don't have to, and they don't have to be nice about it, either. Just because most of the server owners happen to be mature, nice, and benevolent doesn't mean that all of them are required to be that way.
meeba
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by meeba »

The only reason the "public" servers exist is because the server talks to the master server. BZflag was originally a LAN game, so anyone could have their own rules and choose to only let their friends play. The master list is purely so that it's easy to find a server to play on.

My servers allow anyone to join and play and talk... so long as they have common courtesy. It's not always this way on every server, as much as we'd like it to be... but server owners have their reasons for doing what they do.
bzflaginator
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by bzflaginator »

ducktape wrote:Gu is not a public server only gu members can play on them. so whats the deference with a admin league?
Well in the GU league, anyone can play simply by registering. Admins must become admins by another person or group therefore being much different.
Red Cobra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Sounds Cool

Post by Red Cobra »

Sounds cool except for the kicking thing. You might want to try to just have a server where only admins can join. Anyway people wouldnt want to have to wait all the time to rejoin after they got killed. People in todays world I hate to say are inpatient. If you were doing the kicking thing and where you had then automatically go to observer mode after killed you have to redo the BZ client. The client is just made for doing ctf, ffa, and rc. In upcoming versions you might be able to put that idea into the heads of the devs, but other than that I don't think it's possible.

Red
A Vicious Muffin
Private First Class
Private First Class

I'll bet someone could cheat and use /ban ... if it isn't disabled. :D
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

Dark Zodiac wrote:
ducktape wrote:Gu is not a public server only gu members can play on them. so whats the deference with a admin league?
Well in the GU league, anyone can play simply by registering. Admins must become admins by another person or group therefore being much different.
Yes to get on the Gu site you can just reggister and you can start your own team. but to join a diff team you have to ask (if its closed that is). so why dont we start a new league and have ALL closed teams but you cant start teams you have to try out for a team and get drafted.
bzflaginator
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by bzflaginator »

Hmm that might be a cool idea. Maybe we could find the top killers in the game that play in leagues and use them as team captains :idea: