Ability to support multiple configs? and Clinet Side Logging

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Ability to support multiple configs? and Clinet Side Logging

Post by Winny »

I think this may be handy, becuase I like to have different radar, mousebox, and HUD sizes depending on what style of play I am playing.
It can get annoying having to reset Radar, Mousebox, and keymapping...

Maybe this could be done through a "Style", or "Setup" option in the "Join Game" Menu...

Client Side Logging
This could be useful if the server doesn't log, or if there is conroversy over what a player has said or done....

Just my 0.01
TD-Linux
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by TD-Linux »

Client Side Logging

Code: Select all

$ bzadmin -ui stdout > log.txt
Though I think it would be a good idea for the client to log automatically, it wouldn't help anything because you can change a text file as easy as opening Notepad ;)

Publicly available server logs are the best option.

As for multiple configs, I would like that too. Huge radar for LaserMania :)
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

This can be achieved by using .command files (on Mac OS X, I assume it's also possibly on other OSs...).
Create a .command file which would run a command like:

/Path/To/BZFlag-2.0.8.app/Contents/MacOS/BZFlag -options...
Where -options... can be -config and/or -configdir used to specify what config file is used.
So, if you want to change your setup, just open a different command file.

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

CannonBallGuy wrote:This can be achieved by using .command files (on Mac OS X, I assume it's also possibly on other OSs...).

Where -options... can be -config and/or -configdir used to specify what config file is used.
Oh yeah, good idea. I use a similar thing to make sure that BZFlag always opens with the -window option (necessary to make it work on one of my computers). I changed the icon of the terminal file to be the same as the BZFlag program, and then put it in the dock. Works pretty well!
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

I was thinking of something ingame....for us lazy n00bs ;)
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

Constitution wrote:
CannonBallGuy wrote:This can be achieved by using .command files (on Mac OS X, I assume it's also possibly on other OSs...).

Oh yeah, good idea. I use a similar thing to make sure that BZFlag always opens with the -window option (necessary to make it work on one of my computers). I changed the icon of the terminal file to be the same as the BZFlag program, and then put it in the dock. Works pretty well!
Wow, freaky... I do the exact same thing. I even changed the icon and put it in the dock. I have one for each version of bzflag, from 2.0 to 2.1 :)

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007
Legolas_
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Legolas_ »

CannonBallGuy wrote:
Constitution wrote:

Wow, freaky... I do the exact same thing. I even changed the icon and put it in the dock. I have one for each version of bzflag, from 2.0 to 2.1 :)

this is scary stuff.

i changed the icon of each of my bzflag's with diff configs (i have one for each color 'red' 'green' 'prple' blue') the bzflag icons are the same 'cept they are diff colors
dango
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dango »

Legolas_ wrote:
CannonBallGuy wrote:
Constitution wrote: Oh yeah, good idea. I use a similar thing to make sure that BZFlag always opens with the -window option (necessary to make it work on one of my computers). I changed the icon of the terminal file to be the same as the BZFlag program, and then put it in the dock. Works pretty well!

this is scary stuff.

i changed the icon of each of my bzflag's with diff configs (i have one for each color 'red' 'green' 'prple' blue') the bzflag icons are the same 'cept they are diff colors
I'm scared. Very scared...
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

you can use -echo on the client and pipe it out to a file on mac and linux, windows will automaticly pipe it out to a log file when you use -echo.

so there is your client side log.
ImageJeffM
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

Does it put the files in the same dir that bzflag is in?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

it'll open a file called stdout.txt in your current working directory. if you run from the standard shortcuts then yes that will be the dir where bzflag is.
ImageJeffM