Gameserver is UP!

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
SeaSharp
Private First Class
Private First Class

Gameserver is UP!

Post by SeaSharp »

OK. My gameserver is up and functioning. I need a good, large map to host for a free month to get this thing rolling. Please let me know if you are interested. jason@goainsworth.com is the email I use the most.

66.195.5.70:5154 ... Give that one a try(I kinda borrowed a map for now)

If I really like the map you submit, I may just continue hosting it indefinately.
Gamehosting is GONE!
SeaSharp
Private First Class
Private First Class

Gameserver is down

Post by SeaSharp »

Whelp, the gameserver is gone. It and several others, after payment upfront, were disconencted and the guy took off with the money.
Gamehosting is GONE!
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Re: Gameserver is down

Post by Winny »

SeaSharp wrote:Whelp, the gameserver is gone. It and several others, after payment upfront, were disconencted and the guy took off with the money.
How nice of the moron.....jeeez. What is with people these days?
tw1sted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Gameserver is down

Post by tw1sted »

Win Xp wrote:
SeaSharp wrote:Whelp, the gameserver is gone. It and several others, after payment upfront, were disconencted and the guy took off with the money.
How nice of the moron.jeeez. What is with people these days?
i know...
i feel bad for you SeaSharp...
SeaSharp
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SeaSharp »

It is very unfortunate. I am looking for a new server to host cs and cod2, as well as bzflag if anyone wants something hosted, but for now am essentially out of business. I still have my personal 45Mbit server, and it will run a few bzflag instances quite nicely. Let me know if you guys need anything. As for my own game, I have stopped the process on my server for the time being.
Gamehosting is GONE!
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

SeaSharp wrote:It is very unfortunate. I am looking for a new server to host cs and cod2, as well as bzflag if anyone wants something hosted, but for now am essentially out of business. I still have my personal 45Mbit server, and it will run a few bzflag instances quite nicely. Let me know if you guys need anything. As for my own game, I have stopped the process on my server for the time being.
If you have your own personal unmetered 45Mbit connection, you could host a lot more than a few BZFlag servers. You could handle a couple hundred players - easily.

The Math:
45Mbit / 8Mbytes = About 5.625Mbytes/sec. (There are 8 bits in a byte)
5.625Mbytes * 1,024Kbytes = About 5,760Kbytes/sec.
And each player takes about 4K a second (I always use 8K for calcuations): 5,760Kbytes / 8Kbytes = About 720 players, quite possibly more.

Of course, if your ISP oversells (I would be surprised if you can sustain connections of 45Mbits all the time unless you have a very good SLA) or it has high latency, it will vary. But I beleive that's a good, rough estimate. :)
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Email me: bzmet…@gmail.com
SeaSharp
Private First Class
Private First Class

Yep

Post by SeaSharp »

That is true, and if it was based on bandwidth only, would be a very accurate calculation. There is also processor and RAM to consider. I am able to run 5-10 instances of bzflag on my personal box, and it starts getting laggy. Once system load increases, performance decreases.
:)
Gamehosting is GONE!
pyr0
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by pyr0 »

so get another box or 2, and a pretty router
SeaSharp
Private First Class
Private First Class

lol

Post by SeaSharp »

Pyr0, these servers are not at my house. There is no way I could ever afford paying 3K-10K a month for that fast of a connection. They are colocated dedicated servers run from datacentres(my personal box is at a friend's ISP). My home LAN has 4 1u rackmount servers, ranging from 700mhz to quad opteron, but I have no connection worth anything here; they merely are used as LAN servers here at home, where I have a dozen boxes running, 10 downstairs, for lan parties:)
Gamehosting is GONE!
pyr0
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by pyr0 »

is he a really good friend? :lol-old: maybe you could shift in your rackmount opteron as well as the other box :)
SeaSharp
Private First Class
Private First Class

yeah

Post by SeaSharp »

I coulod, but am only allowed one server there, and the current box is totally set up and secured
Gamehosting is GONE!
SeaSharp
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SeaSharp »

OK, I put my game back up on my private box. It's SeaSharp's Server(of course) :) I am running The Quarry by 1veedo with his permission. If there is a really good, big map out there that needs hosting, let me know, I may just host it :) The Quarry is a fun map, but I would like something bigger, multi-level.
Gamehosting is GONE!