Player Problems...

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Player Problems...

Post by ducatiwannabe »

Heya guys! I just wanted to bring something up. There are a lot of cool servers or cool maps that people enjoy. Such as the Sleepycows servers...they are awesome and so much fun to play on.

However..

They are almost always on the third page.

I've been noticing for a while the observer problem. It used to be that servers would stay empty and people would come and fill them up. Then, along came the one observer bzadmin guy. Somebody decided to get above them on the list and added two. We have two to three observers on most servers. A person like me is on the third page waiting for people to come.

I don't like all these observer things :/ I wish it was like it was.

And it doesn't fool anybody if you put a guy up on bzadmin. They can just type and see that you don't answer and be jerks. Idling doesn't help your server much.

Any thoughts?
cosmos
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Player Problems...

Post by cosmos »

ducatiwannabe wrote:Heya guys! I just wanted to bring something up. There are a lot of cool servers or cool maps that people enjoy. Such as the Sleepycows servers...they are awesome and so much fun to play on.

However..

I've been noticing for a while the observer problem. It used to be that servers would stay empty and people would come and fill them up. Then, along came the one observer bzadmin guy. Somebody decided to get above them on the list and added two. We have two to three observers on most servers. A person like me is on the third page waiting for people to come.

And it doesn't fool anybody if you put a guy up on bzadmin. They can just type and see that you don't answer and be jerks. Idling doesn't help your server much.

Any thoughts?
i idle for logging and automated script purposes. i could care less where my server ranks.
Saturos
Art Master General
Art Master General

Post by Saturos »

It may be good not to count bzadmins as players... so if there are 15 bzadmins on the server it is still rated as zero players.

Makes sense in my opinion.
Ice Wewe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Player Problems...

Post by Ice Wewe »

cosmos wrote:
ducatiwannabe wrote:Heya guys! I just wanted to bring something up. There are a lot of cool servers or cool maps that people enjoy. Such as the Sleepycows servers...they are awesome and so much fun to play on.

However..

Any thoughts?

i idle for logging and automated script purposes. i could care less where my server ranks.

Can't you get the server to do all that stuff for you?
eagle
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by eagle »

Saturos wrote:It may be good not to count bzadmins as players... so if there are 15 bzadmins on the server it is still rated as zero players.

Makes sense in my opinion.
yes, i think that is a good ides. there are a lot of servers that are good but on the bottom. also people probably get tired of the old servers and want to try out the new servers.
~~~~~
I do know everything, just not all at once. Its a virtual memory problem.
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

Well, logging is fine, I'm just wondering if there are any thoughts on this topic.

I like Sat's idea.
cosmos
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cosmos »

ducatiwannabe wrote:Well, logging is fine, I'm just wondering if there are any thoughts on this topic.

I like Sat's idea.
I think this is a waste of time when you could actually be playing :D
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

yeah. it shouldn't count any observers that are not run by the main client, because you still want to count proper observers that are actually observing.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
Teppic
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Teppic »

If you are serving timed games on a rotation (depending on your setup) you need a permanent player logged in to stop the game 'ending' and starting the next map before the timer runs out. I'm not sure if this is still true on servers >v2.0.2 but it was when I first setup a rotation, and bzadmin in a 'while true;' infinite loop is the easiest way to achive this.
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

Ahh, I see. Neeeeeeeeeeeeever mind about this topic then I guess.