CTF scoring

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
spoooooooooooooooon
Private
Private

CTF scoring

Post by spoooooooooooooooon »

Since CTF has become the prevalent mode of play, isn't it time for a little change for how CTF is scored ? For instance, shouldn't the Team Score be the sum of captures for the current active players ? And how about an indicator of how many captures each player has ?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Spoooooooooooooooon
TD-Linux
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by TD-Linux »

Be careful. Yould be suprised how many people would scream at the thought of something in BZFlag like that changing. :roll:

They look good, except for the last one. Generally, multiple people carry the flag and help defend the carrier, and defend the base, etc. It would make people unhappy if they worked hard to cap the flag and someone else got credit because they exploded at the last moment. A better solution would be to increase every player on the team's score by 5 points or so.
^nightmare^
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ^nightmare^ »

Somebody is probably going to make a plugin for that, or as an option of the scoring list.
Need bzflag help? Try looking here: http://www.freewebs.com/bznightmare/map ... aghelp.htm
TD-Linux
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by TD-Linux »

Currently PlugIns cannot modify the score. The client is too stupid.
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

TD-Linux wrote:Currently PlugIns cannot modify the score. The client is too stupid.
But in 2.2.x, the client will get some intellllllllligence, and be able to modify player scores.
[dmp]
Captain
Captain

Post by [dmp] »

TD-Linux wrote:Currently PlugIns cannot modify the score. The client is too stupid.
Not true. Look at the API documentation.
I don't need huge pictures here.
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

meacan
The most recent docs say this:
Docs wrote:The following score functions were removed untill they can work properly on all clients.

BZF_API bool bz_setPlayerWins (int playerId, int wins);
BZF_API bool bz_setPlayerLosses (int playerId, int losses);
BZF_API bool bz_setPlayerTKs(int playerId, int tks);
BZF_API bool bz_resetPlayerScore(int playerId);
[dmp]
Captain
Captain

Post by [dmp] »

I know, thats why i stopped my battleticket plugin. AFAIK the functions trashed the stack on the server?
I don't need huge pictures here.
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

meacan wrote:I know, thats why i stopped my battleticket plugin. AFAIK the functions trashed the stack on the server?
I don't know about that, but the functions didn't work in the first place. The way the client handle's score updates can't be tapped into by the API. The next generation of protocol (2.2.x) will have a different scoring system, one in which the API score functions can work with.

Your battleticket plugin was fine, because it used team scores. Team scores can still be manipulated with the API, player scores were the only score type that couldn't be modified.