Clans and use of the List Server

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
Squirrel G
Private First Class
Private First Class

Clans and use of the List Server

Post by Squirrel G »

I've just been outraged by a Rob5a.

Generally, I searched for a place to play and found their advertised as he says "Clan Server". I had to watch. I was globally approved. Well anyway, I couldn't spawn. Everyone there was an admin. I called and asked why I was forced to disconnect. He told me to be quiet. I asked what should I do or whatever. He then banned me.

I am so freaking mad. I was a player before most of the most. Even before "SecretPlace", even before the major client change. I was known as the "plus guy" ++++++ before you couldn't use those anymore and lost my "worldly" killer name : ) I was here a long time before these clans, even when the software version was 1.X

Can they just set up their own private list server? It'd sure be nice. Let them keep their setup and everything but not be listed globally but privately as they are acting.

I don't think I've ever posted, but what a durn way to get started.

I love this game, am a linuxer and everything way back during the dawn of 2.4 w/ debian. Man I'm so mad; just let them do their thing but not be rude.

Enough of my rantings; I've been here longer than the top 2% and demand respect :roll: Nah, just a little respect and a free venue without free of clans and elitism. I'm one of the best. Juts check the G's stats back in the day. I think I'll sharpen back up to destroy those clan guys, the ones who suck behind their own playing field.

You *********** banned a Sunday Morning Player who just wanted to know what was going on. I looked up Rob5a-->******* :gross: :rip:

I'd risk being kikd forever on everything if I have to bump into this crap again.

Thanks for listening to the rants of a pioneer.

Edited by administrator

LOL :doh:
Nitroxis
Private
Private

Re: Clans and use of the List Server

Post by Nitroxis »

It's our Team Practise Server and we were in a fun match. I told you that this is a "clan server".
These "clans" are just teams which can play matches in leagues like the GU-league and some teams have practise servers for members only. Our server is in the public list so other people can ask for a match if we are playing on it.
And you should respect other people too...
Cobra_Fast
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by Cobra_Fast »

Hi Squirrel G,

while reading your post I got the impression that you quiete didn't get the idea of what a team-/clanserver is good for. It allows the team to practise on their own while their gameplay is not being disturbed by some random noobs or other players. The further sense of not using our own server list is the purpose that other league players can ask us for an official match, if they want to (in case we are there).
Additionally our own list server wouldn't allow us to find official match servers as you cannot use multiple lists.
Squirrel G wrote:I've just been outraged by a Rob5a.

Generally, I searched for a place to play and found their advertised as he says "Clan Server". I had to watch. I was globally approved. Well anyway, I couldn't spawn. Everyone there was an admin. I called and asked why I was forced to disconnect. He told me to be quiet. I asked what should I do or whatever. He then banned me.
Your fault, if you were insisting to be let spawned on a so declared "clan server" and disturbing the actual gameplay you have to face consequences like being kicked or banned.
Also, there is a good reason for everyone being admin, so the palyers of the team who want to play can modify the server as they want it to be and get rid of disturbers.
Squirrel G wrote:I am so freaking mad. I was a player before most of the most. Even before "SecretPlace", even before the major client change. I was known as the "plus guy" ++++++ before you couldn't use those anymore and lost my "worldly" killer name : ) I was here a long time before these clans, even when the software version was 1.X
I completely do respect old players, as I'm one of them, but I do not respect that old players think they are some kind of celebrity. In my eyes they are treated as all other players.
Squirrel G wrote:I don't think I've ever posted, but what a durn way to get started.
Indeed, you could have done better.
Squirrel G wrote:Enough of my rantings; I've been here longer than the top 2% and demand respect :roll: Nah, just a little respect and a free venue without free of clans and elitism. I'm one of the best. Juts check the G's stats back in the day. I think I'll sharpen back up to destroy those clan guys, the ones who suck behind their own playing field.
I totally can see your point and I might say with strong conviction here, that my clan mates would never treat a player unrespecfully as long as he doesnt provokate the opposite behaviour.
Squirrel G wrote:Oh, did a google search and found your clan's site. Yup the Germans. Great Linuxers, hackers, murderers, enacters of holocaust. No telling what they are planning and discussing, ummmm the fourth reich.
This one's totally beneath contempt. Referring to what some insane austrains did here and indirectly calling us nazis is just a major misbehavior. I hope an admin reads this... What the mississipians did to the native american folks wasnt good either, but we. in fact, are the next generation and can do a lot better.

We are just having fun and do not want more than fun, please understand that we want to get rid of some vivid rude-guys accusing our fun away!
STFU! :doh:
ts
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by ts »

Squirrel G wrote:I love this game, am a linuxer and everything way back during the dawn of 2.4 w/ debian. Man I'm so mad; just let them do their thing but not be rude.

Enough of my rantings; I've been here longer than the top 2% and demand respect :roll: Nah, just a little respect and a free venue without free of clans and elitism. I'm one of the best. Juts check the G's stats back in the day. I think I'll sharpen back up to destroy those clan guys, the ones who suck behind their own playing field.

You *********** banned a Sunday Morning Player who just wanted to know what was going on. I looked up Rob5a-->******* :gross: :rip:

I'd risk being kikd forever on everything if I have to bump into this crap again.

Thanks for listening to the rants of a pioneer.

Oh, did a google search and found your clan's site. Yup the Germans. Great Linuxers, hackers, murderers, enacters of holocaust. No telling what they are planning and discussing, ummmm the fourth reich.

LOL :doh:
Playing this game a long time ago gives you the right of being nationalist, ranting and complaining here?

In the past the advice was to either communicate with the server owner and pray or ignore it. See http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13768. However that was a different case (bdotson did provide cheat clients for instance) and even there the replies were not in the kind of language you used.
GU league: http://www.guleague.org/
An introduction to TCP: http://www.lafkon.net/tc/
Squirrel G
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Squirrel G »

Maybe the language tough.

The story holds truth; even though I was a noob at clans and such, I posted that I couldn't spawn. No reaction from any. I then asked what I could do to fix it. I was told to be quiet. I asked for another's help and bam, ban. I do a google search of the offender and find out that it's free to and all to join. Well, why couldn't someone take ten seconds to explain that to me instead of banning me.

Yes, so what I got angered. I'd never been banned for such as asking how to join or even the address to visit.

As far as my remarks...I'd been called everything but a child of God for blowing folk up in a game. It's part of it, as I attack those that have been most rude in bzdom all the way around. I'd run into Panzers before and none were sportsmanly (at least those posting nationality).

Anyway, have your opinion. I was just so outraged that noone would help. Hell, I didn't even play for a long time for no-one would answer my distress about global logins and registering until I remembered what happened long ago.

Basically, in a nutshell, you got a private game, get a private list SERVER that doesn't broadcast to the general "CAN USE CROWD" Don't clog my screen with time wasted looking for a place to play as I bring em.

Later.
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bambino »

Well, why couldn't someone take ten seconds to explain that to me instead of banning me.
If you're in an intense battle with someone you won't be explaining things to people. I know I don't.
I then asked what I could do to fix it. I was told to be quiet.
You were distracting them during a match.

A server owner can ban you for whatever reason they wish - it's their server and you have no right to be there. A server admin or cop enforces the rules of the server and keeps game play running smoothly. You were a small speed bump that apparently needed to be leveled out and dealt with. It may not have been the best way to deal with you - I would have simply muted you until I had time to explain what's going on.

One thing that the server owner can do is use the "-advertise" option in their config file. You can advertise it to your league members and to all the league spawn groups at the same time.

Code: Select all

-advertise "WTWRP.MEMBERS,GU.LEAGUE,DUC.LEAGUE,BABEL.USERS"
That will allow your members and all the people in those group be able to see the server on the server list while keeping it somewhat private.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

Wow, so much fuss over nothing. You got banned from one server. One server out of three hundred. That server was probably running HiX, too, which is running on about 30 other servers.

Get over yourself. Go and play somewhere else.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon