applescript Material Generator

Discussion, updates, modifications, etc for the various map editors...
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

applescript Material Generator

Post by optic delusion »

As a special treat for macintosh users only, Spazzy McGee made this applescript, at my request. Then I made some small edits and added an overlay map to help in identifying which material is the one you want.

What it does is generate 399 boxes, (or arcs or meshes in a group), each object has a corresponing material, so you can see what various incarnations of material look like on an object.

Just click the checkbox of the materal properties that you wish to explore, and enter the numbers. You need to enter four numbers for each checkbox.
The numbers should be between zero and 1. When you have all the blanks filled in, click "Generate", and an output window will open, with your map file. You must paste this output into a text file.
It's especially nice for experimenting with specular colors.

Add the overlay map with an include, when you want to see what number material is the one you want. It counts by hundreds on one side and 1-20 on the other. (there is no object numbered zero)
Attachments
mat_gen_inc.bzw
(52.89 KiB) Downloaded 129 times
Material_Generator.zip
(76.01 KiB) Downloaded 135 times
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

Just so everybody knows: It's a little bit buggy as it is, and not all of the features work - in the add object menu, you can only generate a meshbox, meshpyr or arc - the mesh option doesn't work.

You also may get weird error messages sometimes. That means you've probably missed a value somewhere. For some reason the way it checks if a field is empty doesn't work properly.

If anybody wants the xcode project file, feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to email it to you.
Edit: don't bother asking me to send you the xcode proj. It perished along with my laptop some months ago, and I don't think I have a copy anywhere.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon