Things from other games that BZFlag could benefit from.

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
Peter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Things from other games that BZFlag could benefit from.

Post by Peter »

Just three ideas that came to me.

xmoto zones
In xmoto, you can have a box that when entered will show a message, like this (not actually shown normally)...
I was thinking that the ability to do something similar in maps would be cool.

Urban Terror scoreboard
In Urban Terror, when you hold down tab, this scoreboard appears...
It would make a nice change from the current one in my opinion

Urban Terror voting system
A more visual voting system like this...
would be more effective and easier to use I think.

What do you think?
Last edited by Peter on Mon May 12, 2008 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

Code it up if you want it...

The game is open source, so people can contribute features and add ons that they want to see used.

I don't really believe that our problem with voting is people not knowing how to use it, but that they just don't bother. If they don't care, they won't vote, no matter what manner it's presented.
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

Winny wrote:I don't really believe that our problem with voting is people not knowing how to use it, but that they just don't bother. If they don't care, they won't vote, no matter what manner it's presented.
I disagree. I'm sure there is a proportion that do abstain from voting, but I think there genuinely is a lack of knowledge on how to vote. What is there for a n00b to find out that typing '/vote yes/no' is how you vote? Chances are they don't even know that you run commands with a '/' in the chat prompt.

I think the best option would be to have two settings available. One 'chat voting' setting, that acts exactly as what we have now, and one that will display a voting message on the HUD when you die. Basically just two interfaces to do the same thing, and have the option to choose your prefered style. I'm sure some people wouldn't want to have polls in their face when they die, but similarly i'm sure some people would.
PETER wrote:In xmoto, you can have a box that when entered will show a message
I think this would be an obvious addition to the zone object. Enter the zone, display a message. Alternatively have it on the physics object, and act exactly the same as the death option, but without the dying, if you catch my drift.

I guess that could be currently achieved with a plugin - there are already plugins available that perfom actions when a player entwers an area of a map. Perhaps it wouldn't be too difficult to build upon one of these and send a chat message instead of fire a world weapon, for example.

Actually some quite good ideas PETER.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
joevano
General
General

Re: Things from other games that BZFlag could benefit from.

Post by joevano »

Peter wrote: Urban Terror scoreboard
In Urban Terror, when you hold down tab, this scoreboard appears...
It would make a nice change from the current one in my opinion
How would this be different than what is currently available? Other that it being prettier, I think you can accomplish the same effect with 's' to toggle scores on and off.

The other 2 are good ideas. I have to agree with Spazzy on the voting issue. Don't think most people even know how to vote, and even when told have a hard time actually doing it.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
F687/s
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by F687/s »

> I think this would be an obvious addition to the zone object. Enter the
> zone, display a message. Alternatively have it on the physics object, and
> act exactly the same as the death option, but without the dying, if you
> catch my drift.

Couldn't you do this with a plugin? It could send a server message whenever someone enters a specified zone.

Of course, building it into bzfs wouldn't hurt either...

EDIT: D'oh.
Last edited by F687/s on Mon May 12, 2008 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

F687/s wrote:> I think this would be an obvious addition to the zone object. Enter the
> zone, display a message. Alternatively have it on the physics object, and
> act exactly the same as the death option, but without the dying, if you
> catch my drift.

Couldn't you do this with a plugin? It could send a server message whenever someone enters a specified zone.

Of course, building it into bzfs wouldn't hurt either...
Read the paragraph of text after what you quoted.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)