Various problems depending on which server I am using

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
ENCON
Private
Private

Various problems depending on which server I am using

Post by ENCON »

OK everyone, here it goes, I'm anticipating alot of questions ... although I will try to be as thorough as possible....

I've run BZflag with no troubles (aside from a little lag) for several months. It seems my troubles started after I loaded 1.7g0. At first the trouble seemed minor like couldnt lock on using GM. But the past two days I've had different problems while using diff servers, for example: when using one.bzflag.org (CTF) I cant pick up any flags. When using ducati.bzflag.org (CTF) I can pick up the flags, but I appear NR to opponents, also I can't shoot anyone (bullets go right through them) and when I send a message it lists me as "(UNKNOWN)" and the text is yellow as opposed to the team color. Also, In servers where I can be seen and I can kill opponents, The score doesnt track my kills, only my deaths. The issues seems to be consistent on a server by server basis (ie. always the same problems on a particular server, but vary from server to server) I've uninstalled several times, tried re-installing both 1.7e6 and 1.7g0. The problem now remains when using either version.

OK, now my system stats:

I have two PC's running Win 98 SE with a wireless home network / DSL connection going through a Linksys router. The PC's are 400Mhz Intel Celeron processors with 256MB RAM each. I am not running anything else when I run BZflag. The problem exists when using either PC. Could this be an issue with my ISP? Thats about it in a nutshell. I'm going through withdrawls and am starting to be tempted to cheat on the sites people can't see me ;) Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks! :D
Dervish
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dervish »

ENCON,

You mention the GM lock problem, the lack of flag pick-up, the "unknown" text thrown in to substitute your name, and the score not keeping sync with your kills.

Sounds like a major connection / lag / latency problem.

Here's some things to try, but please don't be offended if these seem like common sense to you. I'm just listing everything I can think of:
  1. Make sure UDP is enabled, since all (most of the time) servers use UDP. This should be enabled by default in clients 1.7e6 and later.
  2. Do a "/lagstats" at the message prompt and look for your screen name. Check the number to the right of it. If this number is greater than 1000, you have a serious lag / latency problem with your connection. If it times out, and gives you the number of 0, then you have a critical lag / latency problem.
  3. If you have lag / latency, find out why. Download a trace route utility and check to see which point has the largest amount of lag (which point has the longest delay). UNIX variants usually have this trace route utility included with a distribution package, but Windows users will have to download one. I'd suggest Ping Plotter http://www.pingplotter.com
  4. Run a trace route on any BZFlag server included in the public list, especially those which you encounter the most problems. Find out which hop (hop is the travel of your packets from one point to another) has the problem.
  5. Once you find the culprit, I'd suggest you contact your ISP about this point and request that they research it for you.
Hope that helps, and Merry Christmas! :D
protected object myTank(){
foreach(noob in this.game){return frag(noob);}}
Chestal
Dev Guru
Dev Guru

Post by Chestal »

ENCON: Hmm, that's a strange bag of problems you experience. You had been using 1.7e6 befure upgrading to g0? There really is no big change in g0 which should affect the basic network and functionality.

I really have no clever idea right now what could be causing your problems. Is there anything unusualabout your network? Are you behind NAT (should work with it anyway)?

You can try a traceroute to a specifig serevr to test, whether your connection is working fine or giving you large amounts of latency or packet drop. On Win98, either download some pretty traceroute tool or open a DOS / command lien window and try 'tracert ducati.bzflag.org'.

When you see people driving around and their shots, than you can receive UDP. If they see you driving around and your shots, then sending UDP is ok, too. The TCP connectin which is used for all 'important' conversation with the server should be running without problems, maybe only affected by latency or packet drop issues which could cause a huge lag and all sorts of strange effects.
ENCON
Private
Private

Post by ENCON »

Just to update you guys ...

Just as mysteriously as it had arrived, it seems that the problem has resolved itself ...the last two days I have had no problems with the program. As such, I suspect the problem might have been with my ISP, perhaps?

However, I will still keep implement your suggestions and keep you up to date if the problems persist.

On a side note, I did want to thank you guys for taking the time and effort to deal with us lay people. There are some of us who do appreciate the time and effort put forth for the site. If there is anything I can contribute to help out, I'm happy to. Thanks.

-Bill

a.k.a. Santa
ENCON
Private
Private

2nd update

Post by ENCON »

Again: just FYI

I suspect the culprit in my periodic problems is definately my ISP. Most times I don't have problems, but occassionally, these issues rear its ugly head ... so when in doubt, blame the ISP.

Santa
Fiberchunks
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Fiberchunks »

just for your info, it may not be the ISP. I've had definite problems with the linksys routers in the past that just sporadically come and go.

One sure-fire way of figuring out whether it's the router or not is to take it out of the loop (realizing it's wireless and it may be a pain in the arse), but believe me, linksys doesn't seem to produce A1 hardware, and it seems to me that any flaky voltages going into the linky can cause weird goofiness on the router.

Just my .02

Peace