Lag, kick, processing power, and intergrated graphics

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
GMMan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Lag, kick, processing power, and intergrated graphics

Post by GMMan »

I was playing BZFlag this noon and experienced unexpected kicks. I recently installed Google Web Accelerator. I think it's its problem. When I got on a server (Boxy War Laser Snippings) in a few ms I get a "Your lag is too high (354ms)" warning. After a few times the server kicked me. I noticed if my fps goes below 10, my lag goes more than 100 ms. I've got Windows XP Home SP2, Intel 82865G Graphic Controller, 2660 MHZ Intel P4 processor, and Sasktel DSL (Canada). My PC is built by Dell. What I think is causing lag is the inability to process great 3D graphics and uploading of data by the processor, therefore causing lag. Someone please help me because I don't want to get kicked by my favorite server :D .
I haven't touched BZFlag for years, but maybe sometime I'll make a comeback.

I'm on Twitter. And I mess with webOS. This signature is not a blog.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

the web "accelerators" often work by sending you to a proxy server that has a cache ( copy ) of many common web pages, sending you the copy in less time then it takes to get the real deal.

this often screws up many games, since there is nothing to cache or keep a copy of ( game data changes many times a second ). All they do is add extra time to all of your messages ( aka lag ).

when you play games, you probably want to turn those kinds of things off so you get as fast a conection as you can.

to see if your graphics are giving you fake lag, hit T to turn on the frame rate display and see what your frame rate is, if it's under 30fps, then yes your graphics are probalby slowing you down.

Video cards are rather cheap these days, as you can get cheap cards ( like the nvidia FX 5200 ) for under 40$ US, and they are a masive improvment over the onboard intel crap that is being sold today.
ImageJeffM