New map object idea

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
The Purple Panzer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

New map object idea

Post by The Purple Panzer »

I'd like to be able to place (dead) tanks around on a map, for example so that real tanks with ST might hide amongst them. It would be great if there were a TANK map object that one could position arbitrarily.

Of course it might be done through appropriate modeling, but if a player changes the tank textures, the dummy tanks would stand out; and if tank appearances change (either through improvements in future versions, or due to rendering settings in the client) the modeled tanks would also be obviously different. Since the client already knows how to draw tanks, it would be nice to be able to tell it to draw a few as map objects.
dartman
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dartman »

I remember Louman made a model of a burning tank a while back. But again, as you said, tank appearances could change. So good idea.
TD-Linux
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by TD-Linux »

In fact, the tanks that Louman used are the 1.x versions, which are easily distinquisable from a 'real' tank.

Some people have asked for a model of the 2.x style of tanks, but this would be a better solution. It would probably be easy to code up too. Hey, I could almost even do it! :P
dartman
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dartman »

^Almost?
The Purple Panzer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Nice place to host World Weapons, too

Post by The Purple Panzer »

This morning it occurred to me that it would be convenient to host world weapons in these dead-shell tanks, giving them a little life. I think it would be clearer to players that world weapons might be co-located with tanks, rather than in arbitrary map locations.
Sky King
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Sky King »

And, if i remember correctly, when Louman places a dead tank, he usually places special weapons flags next to it. For instance, the other day I was on one of his servers and there was always a perpetual GM and SW located at the scene of the burning hulk.

If you've ever seen a real tank "cook off"... they often bake for a day or two with ammo going off inside for hours. The older style explosive tank rounds tended to catastrophically incinterate the tank in one big blast. Today's kinetic energy sabot rounds hit the tank so hard that the penetrator disrupts the molecular bond of the armor creating "spall" which is a gaseous cloud of molten metal in gas, not liquid form... It's so hot it kills the occupants instantly, but has so little termal mass that it quite often doesn't set off any of the ammo inside the tank. that ammo "cooks off" in the ensuing fire over minutes, hours, or days...

It's a bit complicated, but it would be neat to have a burning hulk that mimics this by randomly firing MG, SW, etc. at sparse intervals.
dartman
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dartman »

^*reads second paragraph*.....Huh?