Bots...

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Bots...

Post by ducatiwannabe »

The bots are really great in most situations, but this just came to mind after reading a recent topic.

Having -solo an option in bzflag has been causing some problems. People in the public crash a server by trying to get 100+ bots to join.

Now, would it fix the problem if bots were only a server option?

-bots 2

as an example in the conf file. As it is, it really isn't right for public people to go around using the -solo command or there will be bots everywhere (unless all servers have _disableBots on)

So if it's only the server that allows it...or an ingame command, such as /addbots 5 or something...

Would this help any or am I not being clear? And would it be hard to do?
goblin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Bots...

Post by goblin »

ducatiwannabe wrote: Now, would it fix the problem if bots were only a server option?
As you know, I have a personal interest in the topic ;-)

The idea is good, but I can't help thinking that a bots nature is to be a client. Having servers doing client stuff brings an uneasing fuzziness to the client-server model.

I can't think of any practical problems with it, but I think the clean cut between server and clients responsibilities should be maintained. Just in case.
Tank you!
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

It'd be best, imho, if the server owner could set it to allow bots from any number of specific IP addresses, only.
This way he could add the IP's of people who he is happy to take bots on the server, and they can, but not add the IP for every joe, so they can't.

I guess in most cases, the only one who would add bots would be the server owner, so you could say to only allow bots from the same IP as the server, yet, if you run bzfs on a remote server and bzflag at home, it'd not let you run bots...

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Or could -bots configure the maximum number of bots allowed on the server. This would allow the server owner to allow bots, but not let 100 join at once. Just my 2 cents...
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

Also a good idea. :)
Could use this to only allow 1 bot, say, then add your own bot quickly...

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

goblin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by goblin »

CannonBallGuy wrote:Also a good idea. :)
Could use this to only allow 1 bot, say, then add your own bot quickly...
Why not both - an option to restrict the number of bots, and an option to restrict who can spawn bots?
Tank you!
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

Exactly what we were thinking...

Merry Christmas!

JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

2.1 has the start of server side plugin bots.
ImageJeffM