IM SUCH A NOOB

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
Durf
Private First Class
Private First Class

IM SUCH A NOOB

Post by Durf »

two questions!

1) i go to a server, where im an admin, and i get all my privs with my login name and password(on a local group). how does that work? does that just happen when its uploaded somewhere? cause when i run it on my PC i have to use /register, then /identify EVERYTIME i run it. basically, i wanna know how is it that other servers dont do that.

2) Who wants to host my server? come on, you'll get all privs! :D
.__......._..___....
|__)(_)|..'.|-........
pyr0
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by pyr0 »

to number 1, most people use global groups and global logins... certain users get certain privs by being in certain groups. perms per group set locally.
Durf
Private First Class
Private First Class

ok

Post by Durf »

my real question was, can i set my server so that the global login identifies users, and gives them the perms in local groups?

if not, how would this work? i get a global group(durf.owner, durf.admin, durf.cop) then i set the perms that each of those groups have in the groupDB? or somewhere else? and wouldn't it be frustrating keeping track of 3 or more global groups? i find it soo mauch easier with local.
.__......._..___....
|__)(_)|..'.|-........
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Here is where you request global groups:
http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?t=2660

As for local vs global groups, the choice is really yours. There is no real difference that I can think of, if you have only one server/map. I beleive the advantage comes in when you are hosting several maps. Local groups are just that, local to the map on which they are set. If you use global groups you can add someone to a group, and set the permissions for that global group on your server/map and don't have to add the users to each local group. It really is much more efficient and easier to manage. Keeping all local groups in sync with the same users gets exponentially harder the more maps you host.
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

If you want to set up the groups, here is a little tut I put together..

http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?t=6516
Durf
Private First Class
Private First Class

ok

Post by Durf »

wow, thanks a lot guys...yeah im only gonna host one map so ill go with local....one last thing, how come when i test my server on my pc(as localhost) i have to /identify every time? will this happen when my server is up and public?

(nice tut winxp)
.__......._..___....
|__)(_)|..'.|-........
Goodbye2U
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Goodbye2U »

I think it is because it does not read the password part of your login.
I'm still trying to find out how this works :P
I'm thinking I need a better sig than this...