Idea! The Republic of BZFlag

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers

Is this good?

I'd get my own party!
29%
Yes
33%
No
38%

Total votes: 24

AlliedArmour
Sergeant
Sergeant

Idea! The Republic of BZFlag

Post by AlliedArmour »

Well, I got a brand new idea for a server that I would run. Name, The Republic of BZFlag.

Anyone can campaign to be the sole admin. Apart from me, who will be the King. A party leader must have 3 cabinet members, who must vote for him. Cabinet members become cops. A max of about 10 parties will be allowed.

Every month I'd hold an election here, and the public will vote as they see fit. The Prime Minister will have almost full control over the server, from what map to name of the server. His job is to carry out what he wants done and to make the server as popular as possible.

If this is a popular idea, I'd ask for 2 forums, one public, one private. Private is for the PM and his cabinet only, with the exception of myself. Public is for various discussion within the Republic. That is where I would run the elections.

Suggestions? Comments? All would be appreciated!
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

I always dreamed of getting a bzflag server and calling it that. I see that you're actually getting a server, and have first dibs on it.

I think it's a splendid idea. :)
AlliedArmour
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by AlliedArmour »

Hehe, thanks. Did you vote in the poll?

Edit, I think something went wrong 'cos there was a anonymous vote :D
Last edited by AlliedArmour on Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mostly Harmless!
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mostly Harmless! »

Well, as long as your voting system is more efficient than that of the U.S., I'm in.

I never make stupid mistakes. Only very, very clever ones.
It is not the fall that kills you. It's the sudden stop at the end.
Always remember you are unique. Just like everybody else.
styx
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by styx »

good
"A fool and his money are soon elected" -- Will Rogers
AlliedArmour
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by AlliedArmour »

ROFL!!! Yup, I'll be running this one carefully. Each elections will be probably about 3 days long. At the end, I'll judge the winner(if there's any need to), and adjust the admin and cop groups as needed, setup the elected people - demote if any need, etc.
Mostly Harmless!
Private First Class
Private First Class

Wonderful.

Saturos
Art Master General
Art Master General

Post by Saturos »

A server is about a map and people playing on it having fun... you should worry about that first. And wtheck is wrong with the current admin-system of servers? Why do we need a king and parties... that seems to be an idea which destroys itself after a few weeks. Everybody will get bored because nobody except the king and a few party-members play.

Well, I wish you good luck with it but I, personally, don't see any advantage over the normal admin-system. So it seems quite senseless.
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

I think he means for one server, Saturos.

And Allied, I voted yes, because it was a cool idea.
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

Saturos wrote:A server is about a map and people playing on it having fun... you should worry about that first. And wtheck is wrong with the current admin-system of servers? Why do we need a king and parties... that seems to be an idea which destroys itself after a few weeks. Everybody will get bored because nobody except the king and a few party-members play.

Well, I wish you good luck with it but I, personally, don't see any advantage over the normal admin-system. So it seems quite senseless.
Yes Saturos, This is about a single server, I would assume he is running. Its just a little game of politics within bz. Apparently winner of the elections would get to run the server how he wishes, and how he thinks it should be run. He has X amount of time to "command" the server, before his term is up. Those who frequent the server, then get to vote another "admin" in. and the game goes.

Sounds like fun. Go for it AA. I won't be able to participate. Time is too critical and short for me at the moment.
Beware! I'm going to clone myself and spread those clones all over the world!
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

i think it's a cool idea! the cabinet members of each party should rotate too... hmmm. could be fun.

prehaps you should do it fortnightly instead of monthly, to get a faster turnover of admins ..... and make a rule that one party can't be elected more than twice in a row or we might end up having the 'popular vote' as the only vote.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
styx
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by styx »

the aim of the Prime Minister and his cabinet will be to make the server popular, if he and hid men fail, his popularity will go down too :)

i shall make the Union party (not at all related to the Civil War, in which i take the Confederate side)
Mostly Harmless!
Private First Class
Private First Class

I like the idea of having parties rotate. That way everyone could be the leader.

styx
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by styx »

Mostly Harmless! wrote:I like the idea of having parties rotate. That way everyone could be the leader.
no, only 1 leader(the Prime Minister) and his 3 cops(cabinet members).
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

yes, but each time you are elected, change the positions in the group, s everybody gets his turn as a "prime minister".
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
AlliedArmour
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by AlliedArmour »

Saturos

It's not because anything is wrong with the current system. It's an idea for what might make a very popular server, running from peoples ideas and implementing them. Anyone(almost) could get a chance at running a server. Anyone can play, the main point to the Republic is making it popular, who would vote for someone who clearly made it a unpopular and unsuccessful server? It's a twist to the game that I think might be great fun.

ducatiwannabe

lol - thanks, I think something went wrong with the polling system or my eyes :D

The Red Baron

I think you got it perfectly :D. As you said, X time(it seems like it still has to be determined, perhaps even a variable amount, maybe I'll poll for this too). People see how they like and enjoy it, and when the elections come about, maybe they'll vote for him.

Thank for your support, nice to hear how perfectly you picked it up. Pity that you can't participate tho :(

Spazzy Mcgee

I was thinking that the best way would be to let the leader choose his own cabinet as he liked. Of course, with their consent and support ;) That might be better, I guess it would be best to try several options first. If a party does well, don't you think it's good he stays in? But if it gets ridiculous...hafta see then :D. It's a interesting idea for the leader of a party tho.

Everyone else, forgive this long post and please keep 'em rolling in.
Mostly Harmless!
Private First Class
Private First Class

Spazzy Mcgee
That's what I meant. Great idea.

ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

Even if I had voted no, that's no reason to :evil: me =)
Saturos
Art Master General
Art Master General

Post by Saturos »

I knew, it was for one server... after AA's post I am getting it completely. It doesn't look as senseless as it did before but I still don't think it is worth the effort. :)
But go for it. It is definately an interesting idea. :)
AlliedArmour
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by AlliedArmour »

ducatiwannabe

lol - it is so, after promoting it then voting no :cry:

Saturos

Glad you get it now, I thought you woould - my first was a bit hazy. I think I will have a shot at it :)
Tanner
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Tanner »

I'd be interesting, and complicated.

Heck, why not. I'm in. :)

-Tanner
Tanner - Segway HT i180 Red Owner - Random Map Creator - BZStocks - TS Software

A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

I'm in too. :D

I like the sound of it, but actually implementing it on a timely basis will be hard...
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Email me: bzmet…@gmail.com
AlliedArmour
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by AlliedArmour »

Good, two more :D. I don't see why it would be hard. As long as I remembered to do it, and I should. I've still got some things to figure out but I beleive I've got enough support to go ahead ;)
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

i'm in. i would like to be part of it.
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

im in, even though I hate politics....