Upgraded Mandrake Linux -a now game is unacceptably slow

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
harwoodr
Private First Class
Private First Class

Upgraded Mandrake Linux -a now game is unacceptably slow

Post by harwoodr »

As the topic says...

Was running Mandrake 10.0 with no issues - now running 10.1 and the game takes up all available CPU and runs like a one legged dog. It's unplayable.

Any suggestions - or people in a similar state?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

make sure that when you upgraded it didn't remove or invalidate your video drivers. Most X systems do not ship with hardware accellerated drivers for modern cards, you usualy want to get them from the chipset maker.
ImageJeffM
Workaphobia
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Workaphobia »

90% of the time, when the game runs slow, it is because BZflag is using software rendering instead of hardware acceleration. Go to a terminal emulator from within X and type "glxgears" - if you do not see a window pop up with animated gears moving quickly, then it's not an issue with BZ but with the system.
"Nifty News Fifty: When news breaks, we give you the pieces."
harwoodr
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by harwoodr »

Hmmm... GLX gears gets me:

1391 frames in 5.0 seconds = 278.200 FPS

How's that?

As for the hardware accelerated... I have an ATI radeon M6 mobility.... and mandrake wanted to install the fglrx radeon driver - but it wouldn't work... so I installed the radeon driver... but it offered either xorg 6.7.0 with or without accelleration....

I saw that the ati provided drivers want xorg 6.8.0 - may try that... man what a pain in the ass... I just wanted access to PHP5 and MySQL 4.1 (available one mandrake 10.1 and not 10.0)... :P
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

yes you need hardware accelleration for it to be fast. For the mobility I think the best your going to get is what ever the DRI driver gives you, and it won't be that much. The ATI oficial drivers are for the 8000 series and above, and I think the mobility is a 7000, but you'll have to check your hardware. Basicly what ever drivers you used to have in 10.0 you need to make sure you have the 10.1 compatable versions as well.
ImageJeffM
harwoodr
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by harwoodr »

Well, they switched from XFree86 to Xorg - and the ATI Mobility M6 is poorly supported under Xorg... meaning that 3d accelleration is broken.

Great.
harwoodr
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by harwoodr »

Ok - here's my own personal hell from the last day with regards to mandrake 10.1 and xorg:

1. upgraded to cooker version of xorg
2. got rid of dkms-ati, ati and ati-devel
3. edited xorg.conf to enable dri
4. made sure that radeon module loads on bootup...

and I seem to have things working reasonably now... nowhere near where it was before... but reasonably.

glxgears gets 3305 frames in 5.0 seconds = 661.000 FPS now... which isn't great... but it's better than the 200 or so it was getting... going to tweak more.
Scorch
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Scorch »

sorry but i hear you guys talking about 200 FPS being bad and I'd just like to ask, is this in the game or out of the game because in game im lucky to get it in the 40's
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

Scorch wrote:sorry but i hear you guys talking about 200 FPS being bad and I'd just like to ask, is this in the game or out of the game because in game im lucky to get it in the 40's
They aren't talking about bzflag, They are talking about a small program that tests/measures how many frames per second there graphic card is getting/giving.
Hmmm... GLX gears gets me:

1391 frames in 5.0 seconds = 278.200 FPS
glxgears gets 3305 frames in 5.0 seconds = 661.000 FPS now... which isn't great... but it's better than the 200 or so it was getting... going to tweak more.
Beware! I'm going to clone myself and spread those clones all over the world!
harwoodr
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by harwoodr »

Yeah - I'm getting about 40 frames per second in the game now... used to get over 250 in the game... :rock:
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

Luckies! Try playing on 10FPS!!! Can you really tell the difference between 40 and 250FPS?
harwoodr
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by harwoodr »

RPG wrote:Luckies! Try playing on 10FPS!!!
- no thanks... that's virtually unplayable... and before I got the DRI stuff working - I was just under that.
RPG wrote:Can you really tell the difference between 40 and 250FPS?
Yes. Yes you can. :|