My Graphics Card (Need Opinions and help)

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
Viper
Private First Class
Private First Class

My Graphics Card (Need Opinions and help)

Post by Viper »

On some servers my gameplay through the window is skippy although i have low lag. I'm getting about 28 fps on viper.pimpi and was woundering if a new graphics card would make my FPS go up and about how much. Also if anyone knos pricing for a decent one.

Me and trepan where talking and he said a 'basic nvidia GeForceFX5200' would be better than my 'Rage 128 Pro Ultra x86/sse2' and would run about 75$ and was woundering if theres better ones around that price or cheaper that would make a noticable difference.

-Vip
- viper.pimpi.org
- email: drugskill@gmail.com
Death Barrel
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Death Barrel »

you can get Saphaire cards, which uses the ATI Radeon chipsets for pretty cheap, like a 9200 for $50-60

http://www.newegg.com

but i would not recommend Radeons for linux, i have had too much trouble getting dri and glx to run right.
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

Raedon is good, but they are expensive, and openGl support is crap. Go with nvidia chipset, they are (atleast the ones i've dealt with) OpenGL friendly.

Ask Patlabor he is probaly the most knowledged of all of us here.
Beware! I'm going to clone myself and spread those clones all over the world!
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

I have an nVidia GeForce FX 5200, the PCI version, and it works just fine for BZFlag. I typically never drop below 50FPS, and usually hold at my V-Sync (85FPS). I run at 1024x768 full quality, except no lighting or shadows. My processor is only an 800MHz PIII, so a faster CPU would yield faster FPS slightly. I run other games on here too, like Need For Speed 7 and UT2003. They just run a little slowly, and I have to lower detail levels. The AGP version of the card will produce better results, as it has more bandwidth.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Grumbler
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by Grumbler »

work some nights at McyDs for awhile, and pick up a top of the line ATI or NVIDIA.

I have used the 5200, and its fair. i currently run with the 5950, and its probably overkill. The prices on the 5700 are dropping so that may also be an option.

The only issues I have had with linux is that the nvidia drivers must be built into the kernel.................so if you update the kernel, you have to rebuild the graphics drivers........there are some websites out there that cover modifications so that you dont have to do this, i have not tried them yet.

My opinions on ATI, is that they are a great card, but take tweaking to actually realize that greatness. So, if you have the time, they are a fair choice.

hope this helps.
.........you kids, get out of my tank...........
Death Barrel
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Death Barrel »

yeah you can pick up a 5700 for around $120
<F12>
Private
Private

Post by <F12> »

...mh, i use a GeForce4 Ti 4200 64MB under WinXP with 1.10.6 high_res client - no probs anywere, always over 80FPS (1024x768, 85Hz, 32bit) :) price (summer 2003) approximate 100€...
|tim|
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by |tim| »

<F12> wrote:...mh, i use a GeForce4 Ti 4200 64MB under WinXP with 1.10.6 high_res client - no probs anywere, always over 80FPS (1024x768, 85Hz, 32bit) :) price (summer 2003) approximate 100€...
I use the same exact thing :D

I have never experienced any problems with it.

~Bring the Pain!~