Why be in league

Discussions about the various leagues
freelancer
Private First Class
Private First Class

Why be in league

Post by freelancer »

I have a complaint to all CTF teams.Why be a team in a league if your not willing to play all teams in it.I'm tired of playing unnoficial matches with other teams and then told that their policy is not to play my team officially.Personnally i think this is wrong and unfair to all teams.Teams that do this should be kicked out of the league ,you don't see this kind of behavior in any kind of sport.And i don't think it should be tolerated.
All is fair in love and war and BZ is WAR
Death Barrel
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Death Barrel »

i just don't understand why we can play a fun match and not an official match. a match is a match, i feel it should count, give other teams a chance to do what we are in the leage for... ranking, we can't get ranking if every match that is played is unofficial.
might be your "team policy" not to match official... but why would you match for fun? something needs to be done, some teams should rethink their policy and make it fair to others.
CapN
Private First Class
Private First Class

Another side to this??

Post by CapN »

Hehe,

Wow, you 2 have the same opinion on this? Pretty funny! Free, i'm guessing that your understanding of why this is occuring might not be clear because MAYBE some things went on before you joined the HOW team.

Actually, I think I even talked to you personally about what went on with our (Vbz) match against Carn. and DB. I dont want to bring up the past ......BUT......if their behavior, mostly, in the past, has given some teams reluctance in playing HOW, well....i'd say you have to live with the consequences of their prior actions.
Teams that do this should be kicked out of the league ,you don't see this kind of behavior in any kind of sport
Just common sense really Free, if you had a bad experience with some one/team, dont you think it should be the teams choice not to put themselves through that again? I have been on more than one Company/Rec. league sports team that has refused to play another team for various reasons.

DB: I do see your point though, if a team is willing to play you guys, for fun, then they obviously dont have an issue playing against you, so why not make it official? And before you go yacking on about the past remember we, Vbz, have since matched you guys......officially :)

-CapN-
david_v
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by david_v »

So...

I feel a team should have the right to deny any match request. As for official matches, I don't want to go ahead and play if I feel I'd risk unfair conditions (in terms of network problems, behaviour of players etc). In an unofficial match I don't see a reason to care about that in the same way, as the result of such a match is unimportant to me in person.

Further, in an official match I'm most likely bound to fulfill my playing even if I would run into problems such as those described above. In an unofficial match, on the contrary, I'd have the option of blowing up my tank and walking home when I'm not happy.

I don't see any controversy here; I am just limiting the coverage of my restricting policies.

Dave
Challenge yourself, recruit Fortix tanks

Live BZFlag stats

Tomatoes rule!
Death Barrel
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Death Barrel »

???
David_V, my thing is..... all we are really saying is , give us a fair chance also, HoW has never done anything wrong to you guys and we have already discussed this. Don't want to get into an argument there, just simply stating facts, and fact is you are not being fair. you are still worried that we are going to do something that has never and won't happen against you guys, you have seen the way we play, that is how we play, and you seem to be fine with it when we play these "fun matches".

david , a match is a match whethere it is official or not it is still a match , if you can match us for fun then you can match us official.

give it a chance david, give us one official match and you will see.... it will be fun and you will not be disappointed :) just one match is all i am asking.

Capn: that only happened once, and yes everyone knows this, but dang man... you guys really went around and told everyone about this. HoW has never had problems with fortix and what happened in the HoW vs VBZ match is why fortix won't match us, they have no other reason not to... they were not even there that day.

all we are saying is if you are #1 you should be ready to defend your title, if you want a ref there then bring one.

DB
Last edited by Death Barrel on Sun Mar 07, 2004 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noodleroni
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Noodleroni »

/me wants matches

Fortix: Also, if you want to set terms before the game, I'm sure we'd oblige
Death Barrel
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Death Barrel »

yes we would, set all the terms you want, heck... we could even be silent if you want us to ;) hehe only term we could not except is extra points for you guys..hehe.

name all the terms you need we will agree and we can have our match :)
david_v
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by david_v »

Death Barrel,

I find it a waste of time to discuss my specific decision about HoW publically. I fully avoided such a route when I replied to this thread. If you touch upon that, I will simply ignore it. So, I don't have any reason to comment on what you said. (For the parts that didn't touch upon this, I have no comments either. I think my first reply suffices.)

If you have any further concerns on the issue itself rather than my actions, I'll try to find a time to answer those.

Dave
Challenge yourself, recruit Fortix tanks

Live BZFlag stats

Tomatoes rule!
freelancer
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by freelancer »

Let the past be the past i had nothing to do with it i'm just voicing my opinion i don't think its fair to all teams if you choose only specific teams to play. To me ranking means squat i just like the honor of playing everyone and letting the chips fall were they stand.Policy is set in the rules of the game kill or be killed .The attitude of i won't play you because i don't like how you play is for
little kids in a schooll yard not for BZ.Also if you really want to be considered the best team you should play all teams that is how a champion is crowned.Bring on a ref i'm willing to play to that then there is no discussion just play.
All is fair in love and war and BZ is WAR
Death Barrel
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Death Barrel »

we have already discussed this once before. and to this day you still do not have a valid excuse.
Burned Account -CNG-
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Burned Account -CNG- »

im sick of this. "fun match" the league was made for teams full of wimps. you win some you lose some big whoop, and after today ive had it im quiting the league for awhile maybe if it will change ill come back bye.
Do not enable this account with out admin aproval
|tim|
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by |tim| »

Ok, I'm the least one you'd find to complain about anything, expescially in public. But I really do feel the same way.

Why must you neglect one team? Not give us any chances to retain. Why did you join a team if you're so causious about winning all the time. I thought I was suppose to join a team have fun and play for real. I mean you could do a couple practice matches. But thats just the same as normal play, its not that exciting.
Every time I play a real match I have so much fun, If I lose its a downfall but I mean hey, you'll get better and probably beat them.

I havn't been playing bzflag as much as I used to. But I remember when I used to have fun... everyone would match ya know. People might get angry at themselves but never usually took it out on anyone. Now its a hassel to get matches, people use excuses to get out of matches.
Its just getting old, I think something needs to be worked out, or done about it. I'm about to leave and just find another game. Seems like this game has too much drama.

I've probably got more to say, but can someone tell me whats going on? Cause I don't think I should waste my time writing something for people who are too closed minded and won't listen.

~Bring the Pain!~
Death Barrel
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Death Barrel »

you know, i know it is not just my team viewing this post. if you are viewing this post you really need to post your opinions, we don't post here to just be ignored. the problem is, the league needs to be modereated, it might be already, but knowone seems to know. this is total garbage you teams that are doing this are jacking with my players, giving them reasons to quit! hope you feel good about yourselfes.. you can say its just a game all you want, fine, but i don't feel that way, this is more than just a game, i have been playing bz since 92', used to play it in my dad's SGI office with the whole family. carange is totally right, every word he said i am going to agree with. rules need to be set and followed w/ a working format, cause the way it is now just plain sucks!
CapN
Private First Class
Private First Class

lmao

Post by CapN »

Not to poke fun....but Carn...you made me laugh when I read your post......kinda like the carton where the boy takes his ball home and wont let anyone play with it anymore....all huffing and puffing :).

I'm not sure I truly understand what you guys are all upset about...HOW has played in over 200 matches?? Is this because you havent played Fortix?? I dunno....but....I'm going to put my tank in the garage for awhile as well .

Carn: Lets bet a six pack of your favorite beverage on who stays away the longest !? :wink:

Pretty funny, we/I played Fortix in a match and its made me want to leave....and you guys are leaving cuz you cant play them in a match, oh the humanity of it all!! For me, I just cant take several things: lag differences....slight as they may be on duc....its just too frustrating, esp. with so many good players, playing 2 on 2....where favorable spawns come into play WAY too much.....and just the general frustration of it all, on my side. It sounds like HOW, this issue is really with just you and Fortix, since I think you guys have matched everyone else, so maybe you guys can get together and work it on out..private like..dont see how this is a "league" wide thing?

-CapN-
CapN
Private First Class
Private First Class

Forgot one thing!

Post by CapN »

Any suggestions on a new temporary addiction for me?? I think I pretty much have covered a lot of them but I' m pretty open to your ideas and I will have a few extra hours in the week :D

Hmmmm.......maybe cross stitching.......Well just prvt. msg. me with your ideas.

If I cant come up with something quick I might even have to start working again!!! Or gosh forbid that 45 page "Honey Do List" my wife has been working on for the last 11years! I keep telling her...just a minute....soon as I'm done playing BZ!

-CapN-
ski
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ski »

well this sux...looks like we now have world peace because everyone is parking their tanks?!
Rest In Peace Vivek
1986-2005 :(

------------------------------
Member of DUB

Visit: Image
Death Barrel
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Death Barrel »

try taking up smoking :)

btw: it is not just fortix per say, you ever notice lately how every team just wants to play unofficial matches? i mean, a 1yr ago this kinda thing never happened. HoW use to match TLZ everynight sometimes 2-3 times a night official, and we had fun getting our asses kicked :) and yes we have played over 200 matches, to be precise we have played 257 official matches, but things are so slow now that going from 150 to 257 took forever! all i am saying is, we have never turned down an official match, even if we know we are going to lose, you guys know this. My point being> If you are better then cool, if you aren't then oh well, play more matches and gain more experience! It all boils down to league activity and there just isn't enough anymore. I think the league needs some kinda managment. a board, commity, or just a few people that are in charge and can make decisions. People, decisions need to be made and decided upon, this league is just not like it used to be and something needs to be done. Please we need everyones imput on this one.

Ponies :)
DB
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

this seems to be a pretty touchy subject. it does seem that there is emnity from some teams to other teams. but i believe those hurts should be resolved and forgotten. it is not right to hold a grudge against another team or players. past hurts are the past and this is today. plz don't go carn i'll miss you :cry: well thats all i got to say for now.

btw this is RB2
Beware! I'm going to clone myself and spread those clones all over the world!
Burned Account -CNG-
Private First Class
Private First Class

baron as Db posted its not just fortix.
its
TLz(at times)fortix, barons, tds, kow, bzr, proxs, eez, some players on Vbz. dub.

the moles i dont care if they match us or not, why beacue last time we match them they forfeit. it was only 3 minutes in the game score tied 1-1 anyones ball game. for this 1 team im not mad at but for the rest....

many times this weekend i had to agree that me or db or both of us couldnt play but these matches didnt happen BTW.

HoW has the most losses and the most wins in the league why? because even if we have our worst players on we will still match you. there is only one other team in the league that i know that does the same. and there unactive :(

if your scared you may lose its just a game. fortix and taf in 2 weeks became #1. if you lose your title most likely you could get it back.
menotume
Major General
Major General

Post by menotume »

Ok, I'll post my opinion, since I am involved in this. Last nite, Carny said our team [EEZ] had no balls for not playing an official match with them. Well, we have played HOW 9 times, ProXS 5 times, Tex twice, etc. We have played 21 matches with teams ranked higher or much higher than us, and 3 with teams matched lower (or about the same). Can you blame us for trying to get a match with a team ranked a little lower ... although it's hard to find one lower - because we've lost so many times to better teams. So, can we not refuse an occasional match until we win 1? Can we not try to match with a team within 3 (higher or lower) of our rank? As I see it, we are not just here to raise the win/loss ratio of better teams.

And if this is for 'fun', as some say, than why get so upset if you can't play an 'official' match to boost your ratings?

If it's for 'fun', what is wrong with a 'fun' / practice match?
menotume
Major General
Major General

Post by menotume »

Well, I had to add this: I'm sorry that you are upset about this Carny, the league will miss you.

But, geez, we can't always match everytime you ask - we have already played your team twice as many times as any other team in the league. To say we have no balls seems ridiculous to me.
Burned Account -CNG-
Private First Class
Private First Class

1st off i said none in the league does not just eez individually.

what pisses me off was last time we asked you guys for an official match you declined and 1 of you said you had to leave soon, a fun match was suggested we agreed at this time i was not mad, and when both players finished the match with out subs or leaving i wasnt angry but a little upset.

but when your a team who will play anyone and if you ask and teams ask you for a match but only practice match it starts to piss you off. if we only played Fun matches why bother playing?
Burned Account -CNG-
Private First Class
Private First Class

we can't always match everytime you ask
no ones forcing you. and when we do, you say no fun match only. I unlike most player i only play bz for 1 reason matches. this is why i joined and left HoW a few times. i dont care if we win or lose. but recentually we havent had much of them :(
all im saying is as before why bother playing if you only play fun matches.

btw: we only ask once the issue of that topic is over :)
menotume
Major General
Major General

Post by menotume »

OK, we have played 9 official matches with HOW and what, 2 or 3 'fun' ones?

I see your point with the league in general Carny, but I don't see how it applies to us - we have played more than 1/3 of our total official matches with HOW. And, although I probably caught you at a bad time, you did refer to me/EEZ in particular as having no b*lls.

BTW, we have had the same problem with trying to get matches with the lower-ranking teams.

Cheers :)
Burned Account -CNG-
Private First Class
Private First Class

what do you mean 2-3 it probually near 10.
a few weeks ago me and Db really didnt wanna play weak teams lower the 1200 or so. because it dosent really give them a chance so we wanted to match higher ranked teams no one wants to. something about our attitude what the hell is that about? vbz had to give us another chance and they did a you know what they matched us again :) but fortix saying something along this content makes no sence. we havent match fortix in 4 month or longer since then i have been polite, and nice until sunday. well anyways with the timezone difference we really couldnt match tlz until weekends. so who else is left practually noone but the "newb teams".

when i said no one in the league has balls i was implying it to almost all teams with few exceptions. and i told told you this repeatly when you guys asked.