Private WiFi Server

Need help seting up a server, or have a question on how to run one? This is the place.
Rebex
Private
Private

Private WiFi Server

Post by Rebex »

I have a map made (that is constantly being changed) and I am able to test and what's not by running a .bat file that makes it so I can play my game/map (alone or with 2 BZFlag windows open, one on autopilot).

But I would like to make it so one other person in my family can battle against me when I have my .bat-based server running. I don't want to make it public! I want it so, with their own computer on our WiFi network, can connect to my map/server.

Miscellaneous Information:
  • I connect to my map/temporal server by using "localhost" or "127.0.0.1" as the server in server line in the area, on BzFlag, where you log in.
    The maker of the WiFi router is Linksys.
    Both computers are running BzFlag 2.0.x, mine is .14 and the other person's is the previous version before .14.
    Both are laptops
How could I do this?

Completeley Off-topic question:
How would I make a billboard (not for advertisement) and put it on my map. I am planning to put the map name and map maker on it. :)

Thanks in advanced,
-Rebex
dango
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Private WiFi Server

Post by dango »

The other person just has to get your ip address and put it in their server line.
You can find out your ipaddress by opening up the command prompt (cmd.exe) and running ipconfig
Your ip address will be something like 192.168.1.3, or 10.0.2.13, etc.
Just put that into the other player's bzflag and they should join.
hutty
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by hutty »

by billboard do you mean a picture that is in the map, a picture that is always on in front, as if it is part of the hud, or a picture that is only seen when you first join the server?

or... are you asking how to just do a picture of any kind?
For all of you who have asked what a hutty is, there is one as my avatar.

instant map... just add water
Rebex
Private
Private

Post by Rebex »

@meone Thanks, I will try again :P
@huttymuncher Nevermind, I figured it out, it was a simple Meshbox thingy
RapidEcho
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by RapidEcho »

Short Version:
As long as you don't forward the port on your router, people from the WAN (the public internet) wont be able to connect. People on the LAN will still be able to connect via your computers LAN IP.

Long Version:
Your computer has two IP addresses, one for your LAN (Local Area Network) which is a network of all computers connected to your router. The WAN (Wide Area Network) is the general internet.
For people from the WAN to be able to connect to your LAN, you need to do something called "port forwarding". As long as you don't forward the BZFS port on your router, people on the LAN will connect, but people on the WAN won't be able to.
Your LAN IP with a Linksys router will be something like: 192.168.1.XXX
Your WAN IP differs depending on what ISP you have. You can use this to find out your WAN IP: http://www.whatismyip.com/

Note: If you don't port forward, your server will not be added to the list server. This is not a problem, as people on the LAN can connect via your LAN IP, as previously stated. Thanks for the info, blast.
Last edited by RapidEcho on Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

If the port isn't forwarded, then there isn't any possible way for it to even be on the list. The list server tries to connect to the server before adding it.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

RapidEcho
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by RapidEcho »

That's great to know, thanks blast. Previous post has been properly edited.