Seeing another tank

Questions or HOWTOs about the above? Post 'em here...
catcha
Private First Class
Private First Class

Seeing another tank

Post by catcha »

What do you think: Would it be possible to infer whether a player is seeing another tank in his field of vision, with a reasonable amount of work? I understand the current player's frustum and the opponent players' tank positions are updated in the drawFrame() function of playing.cxx, and then later on the program calls gl* functions for drawing the current view, but I get lost between these... Thanks for any comments.
"There's no such thing as stupid questions. There's just stupid people." - Mr. Garrison
blast
General
General

Re: Seeing another tank

Post by blast »

Are you talking about checking on the server-side?
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

catcha
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by catcha »

Actually I was thinking about the client-side, but this isn't so important. Would it be easier in the server?
"There's no such thing as stupid questions. There's just stupid people." - Mr. Garrison
dereliction of duty
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dereliction of duty »

catcha wrote:What do you think: Would it be possible to infer whether a player is seeing another tank in his field of vision
not into coding myself, but what are your intention/s by doing this?
catcha
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by catcha »

ttfkad wrote:
catcha wrote:What do you think: Would it be possible to infer whether a player is seeing another tank in his field of vision
not into coding myself, but what are your intention/s by doing this?
I'm planning to use the game for some quirky research purposes (simple two-player game at first), and I'm doing minor changes to the code to collect game event data. I can already get some simple things out, but not yet anything this complicated.