Hosting question

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
Dontkillme
Private First Class
Private First Class

Hosting question

Post by Dontkillme »

How many players can I host on a
Speed Down 1878.70 Kbps ( 1.8 Mbps )
Speed Up 339.28 Kbps ( 0.3 Mbps )
Server?
( http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest ... 16086.html )
joevano
General
General

Re: Hosting question

Post by joevano »

Depends on the map but not many. You need lots of upstream bandwidth which you do not have. I have 1500 Kbps upstream and the most players I cam comfortably host is 20-25.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
adameros
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by adameros »

Is there a good ration for the amount of bandwidth needed per player when hosting?

I just got my FiOS connection 25Mb out and 15Mb in. How many players would that be good for?
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

You shouldn't have any issues, other than possible ISP "terms of use" violations. But, unless you get real popular they probably won't notice. There is no great gauge because there are lots of variables.. # of shots, # of players on, reload time, etc. The bandwidth needs also do not grow in a straight line, it grows exponentially as the number of players increase. I can host 20 comfortably on my server (for most maps) on a T1 connection (1.5 Mbps up).
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln