local servrt on Vista server not found

Need help seting up a server, or have a question on how to run one? This is the place.
constantly
Private
Private

local servrt on Vista server not found

Post by constantly »

I am trying to run bzflag on my wifes shiny new laptop. Then I can battle it out with the kids 2 to 1..

I can run a server on any of the linux machines here and any other machine here can play on it including the server.

My problem is the the Laptop has Vista and I am not allowed to mess with it. Bzflag on vista will connect to the public servers off the internet but not one of my local servers. It sees the other servers it will see the server running on itself but refuses to connect.

I have little experience with vista I believe I shut down the firewall and still it did not connect.

One odd detail is that Vista refers to the Netbios names of the servers and not the IP address.

Odd. Maybe I should install Linuyx on that 40 gig partion I hid on the drive and put grub on a USB stick.... unless someone has an idea for what windows is doing here.

Thanks
blast
General
General

Re: local servrt on Vista server not found

Post by blast »

Use the IP address instead of the netbios name and see if that works.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

constantly
Private
Private

Re: local servrt on Vista server not found

Post by constantly »

blast wrote:Use the IP address instead of the netbios name and see if that works.
Well that worked!!!!!!!

Thank you very much for that. I have some really good excuses as to why I did not do it my self but to mention them would diminish my thankfulness for your help. My Kids will be grateful and even my wife whos computer has had a reprieve from being improved with Linux....

Thank you