Cornered!

User made maps to use on servers.
Joe-Schmoe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Cornered!

Post by Joe-Schmoe »

I've been thinking about this map for a while, but it took me less than 3 hours to actually make it from start to finish.

I've heard a lot about maps with "good rico possibilities" lately and I realized that I didn't really know how to incorporate that into a map. I built this map to try and teach myself (criticism greatly appreciated!).

The concept is very, very simple. There are 4 bases near the center, separated by some walls. The map is higher near the middle and gets lower towards the edge.

1/4 of the map

Here's a shot of what each team's corner looks like. The wall near the middle of the image means you can hit anywhere on the third layer from pretty much anywhere else. Also, you can hit people in neighboring quadrants by bouncing shots off the outer walls provided they're on the same layer as you. But the really good part is the pyramids...

The hourglass

This object lets you shoot from the 4th layer up to the 5th, and vice-versa. It's much easier than you think to get the shots where you want. With some practice, you can shoot from one hourglass, across the top layer, and back down the OTHER hourglass. I dunno if that's important tactically, but it's fun to try :)

Finally, here's a screenshot of the radar for the map. It helps you visualize it much better than I could get in observer mode.

I didn't add any flags, I think this map is better without them. Feel free to add your own mix of flags, though, I think pretty much any combination would work.

So, comments welcome. I am aware that by most standards the map looks pretty empty, but I think the varied terrain makes up for that. However it is one of the things I'm not sure about, so I'm interested to know what people think.
Attachments
Cornered.bzw
The map file, hopefully with spawns fixed
(2.71 KiB) Downloaded 218 times
Last edited by Joe-Schmoe on Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Join MI6!
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

The maps I like best, are those without flags so already your map has scored high for me.

Okay, I tested it and I found some great ricochet spots that can hit just about anywhere including campers on base and the pyramids themselves.

Best if it has no flags I say.

The only problem I found were the teleporters. I couldn't get through them, I could shoot but not drive though. Is this a problem or was it intended?

Good map, 7/10 =)
Last edited by Grace F on Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joe-Schmoe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Joe-Schmoe »

Thanks Grace! I changed the teleporters now...you can drive through them, and they also send you 90 degrees around the map rather than 180. That way you can enter any quadrant with ease. You can also sit in front of the teleporter and shoot into it, and the bullets will ricochet through each of the other teleporters before returning. (So be careful!).
Join MI6!
ahs3
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ahs3 »

Its up at:

ahs3.no-ip.biz:5120

Enjoy!

--ahs3 :D
Joe-Schmoe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Joe-Schmoe »

I noticed that there were some troubles with spawning, even with a pyramid on top. (Turns out the pyramid was flat. d'oh!) Alas, even with a taller pyramid, I still spawned sealed sometimes. I messed around with the spawnzones a bit, and I think I have a working solution. (The first post has been updated).

Is there any way I can be absolutely 100% sure that it is now impossible to spawn on the roof? This problem has plagued my other maps too.
Join MI6!