Could somebody please help me?

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
Firefox
Private First Class
Private First Class

Could somebody please help me?

Post by Firefox »

Ok, this problem has been w/ me ever since i started playing: I can't get into 90% of the servers. The only servers it lets me "find" are the ones with #s.

Example: I can play in Server: 87.230.24.230

If I try to play, say Server: quol.guleague.org (or any server that has names instead of the above style) it will say "Trying...". Eventually, it will say "Server Not Found". But if the server has numbers instead of anything else, it does work.

Recap: a server such as (87.230.24.230) will work. A server such as (quol.guleague.org) will not. This means I can not play the best servers.

Could somebody please help me!? :(
I am back
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Open up a Command Prompt or a terminal. Then type the following:
nslookup quol.guleague.org

It should give you the IP address of 69.90.0.146. If not, then you're having DNS problems. Therefore, if that's the case, try connecting to the above IP address using the same port and see if it works.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Firefox
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Firefox »

thanks.... How do you open up a command prompt? :oops:
I am back
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

Firefox wrote:thanks.... How do you open up a command prompt? :oops:
Your kidding...

Start -> Run -> type "cmd" -> hit enter -> do what blast told you to
Firefox
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Firefox »

Thanks, but no I'm not. I really don't no much about computers... :oops:
I am back
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Winny, be nice. :P
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Firefox
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Firefox »

ok, i tried the command prompt and it mentioned DNS, so i tried your Plan B, and that worked. Thanks so much! :)
I am back
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

However, that is not a solution. We've just narrowed down the problem. Your DNS is what resolves names such as google.com to an IP address, so that you can connect to that host. Without DNS, most of the Internet is not accessible. You'll need to figure out why your DNS is broken.

One option might be to set your system to use OpenDNS:
http://www.opendns.com/start/windows.php

ratmandu
Private
Private

Post by ratmandu »

Hmm.. i have the same problem, on OSX. Tried the OpenDNS (which is so much faster for web browsing btw.) but it doesnt help at all.

Any help on this would be appreciated.
anomaly
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by anomaly »

I assume you have a broadband service and possibly are behind a router, with dynamic IP. You should call your provider's helpdesk or support. They can probably help you the best. There are a lot of variables, such as does your connection provide DNS addresses?, it should. and your router should provide them to your computer(s), Is your gateway configured correctly? PPPOE or PPPOA? Is this always happening or just occasionally? Sometimes a DNS server will be unavailable and cause issues.

Your provider should be your best bet to solve your problem.

good luck
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Suppose it could even be a firewall issue.

The gateway would have to be correct, or else he wouldn't be able to get outside his LAN at all.