Disappearing objects

Discussion, updates, modifications, etc for the various map editors...
LEGOManiac
Private First Class
Private First Class

Disappearing objects

Post by LEGOManiac »

After a year of playing, I've finally decided to take a swing at building a map. BZEdit is great (albeit primitive when you're used to AutoCAD et al) but it seems to have some bugs. Either that, or I just keep doing the same things over and over again.

I was going to lead off with a solid-pyramid-on-a-platform question, but I see that's been done soooo....

Sing with me..

Oh where, oh where has my teleporter gone,
Oh where, oh where can it be?

I put a teleporter in. It worked just fine thank you (with appropriate links). I decided to rotate it 180deg and change the links. Hmm maybe I got the links wrong. Tried various combinations. Tried shooting through it to see where the bullets were coming out (to make sure I had the links the way I thought they should be). Saw nothing - decided it was probably too close to a wall. Moved it back 100 units - clear of all obstructions so I could see the shots passing through. Looks good in BZEdit, but...

Start the server, start the client, no teleporter??!!??

Back to BZEdit to check if it's there and it is. Try again - no luck.

OK so this happened when I moved it - I'll just move it back.

Nope.

Check the .BZW file - It's in there plain as day. Just doesn't appear in the map.

So how can BZEdit move something and make it disappear?

How do I get it back?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

what version of BZedit are you using. There was a bug with an older version that would do that.
ImageJeffM
Grumbler
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by Grumbler »

take a look at the link table and see if you have two links from the same location.....bz freaks on that

also, count the number of teleporters within your map, and make sure you have only that amount.

also, after you delete items(can be one or more than one).....quit bzedit and restart it. after removing anything, you will not be able to do anything properly.

post the map you are having problems with next time.......it will help with the debug.
.........you kids, get out of my tank...........
LEGOManiac
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by LEGOManiac »

OK. Thanks for the help, everyone.

BZEdit version: 1.6.1

Sorry I forgot to specify that.

Anyway, the problem has been found. I had a link added that was not attached to any teleporters. I must have double-clicked ADD at some point.

Thanks for all the hints - they got me looking in the right direction.