Wings 3D editing

Questions and answers about the how and why of making maps.
CUPCAKE
Private First Class
Private First Class

Wings 3D editing

Post by CUPCAKE »

I've read the wiki:
Wings 3D

Wings 3D is a good modeler to use if you're new modeling. It has a much smaller learning curve than Blender, although it doesn't have as many features. There is also a plugin (which you can download here) created by trepan which allows you to export objects to a BZW file. It is not widely know that you can export a bzflag map from the actual bzflag client in .obj format. To do so, you must connect to a server hosting the BZW map you would like to download and type /saveworld -o "mapname.obj". This will allow you to then import the .obj file into Wings 3D and edit the map. Then you can use the exporter created by trepan which allows you to export objects to a BZW file.
Yet something doesn't quite make sense. When I do the /saveworld -o "blah.obj" , And then go to where it tells me to go, theres nothing there. Can someone help me with this?

Also, I've downloaded the exporter by trepan yet I have no idea how to use it... :oops:
gnu-sense
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Wings 3D editing

Post by gnu-sense »

CUPCAKE wrote:I've read the wiki:
Wings 3D
Then you can use the exporter created by trepan which allows you to export objects to a BZW file.
Yet something doesn't quite make sense. When I do the /saveworld -o "blah.obj" , And then go to where it tells me to go, theres nothing there. Can someone help me with this?

Also, I've downloaded the exporter by trepan yet I have no idea how to use it... :oops:
There's a menu item "Install Plugin" under the File menu. Use that and locate the plugin. You might need to select the compressed file (it's been a while since I did this, so my memory is vague).

Where the saved .obj file goes is OS dependent; look for it in the place where bzflag saves .bzw files, or if you know that place, make sure that you use a proper file name when you save. bzflag is not good about suggesting file names for saved worlds. On MacOS, if I forget the file name, it ends up being the extension name ".bzw" which is a hidden file by default.

gnu-sense
CUPCAKE
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CUPCAKE »

Okay then, I've installed the plugin. However, I still can't access the files (which must be hidden...). :?
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Well, where are you looking for the file?
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

CUPCAKE
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CUPCAKE »

Exactly where it directs me to:

C:\Documents and Settings\user\My Documents\My BZFlag Files\worlds