For mapmakers everywhere:

General talk about the map making process.
A Looney Kumquat
Private First Class
Private First Class

For mapmakers everywhere:

Post by A Looney Kumquat »

Hello, since I'm pretty good at this sorta stuff (I can find stuff on all the multiplayer online games) I figured I start a little thing where if you make a map, let me know, and I'll go through everywhere and try and find every single glitch on the map and let you know so they can be fixed, or at least watched, so we can have less glitching and map manipulation. If you like to help me, PM me, if you have a map you want me to search, PM me, and if you think this is stupid, DONT PM me- Just kidding- go ahead and PM me.... :roll:
-ALK

OS Moment <"O""S" mo·ment>
1) Where one can see something bad about to happen, cant do a bloody thing about it, but still has time to say "Oh 5h!t!!!" 2) An action that makes all the surrounding people drop their jaw and say "Oh 5h!t...."
Triumph of the Soul
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Triumph of the Soul »

In theory, this isn't a bad idea...

...Are you saying you would actually fix the errors yourself, or would you just point them out and hope that the person can fix it themselves?

On one hand, you are posting this in the "General Map Making Discussions" section of the Forum. This section, along with "Help: Map Making" are here to allow aspiring map makers to post questions and/or ideas and receive feedback from the community. So you are giving people a choice: They can either post their maps or specific problems on the forums and receive much diverse feedback from many people, or they can go to you and you can fix up their map for them. The latter choice pretty much defeats the reason for having the forum in the first place. In case you haven't noticed, there is already the "Map Developers Group" which has an active presence on the forums, IRC net, and they have their own website on the side, which is what you should have if you want to take on a task such as this. And then you should post a link to that site in the "Fansites" section of the forums, instead of using the forums as a medium to further your service.

On the other hand, by telling people that you can fix up their map for them, you are going forth on the assumption that they can't do it themselves, or find help themselves. Both of which build character, and allow the map makers themselves to grow, which is another reason these forums exist. By offering them the easy way out, you are in a way insulting their intelligence.

But, if all people care about is flawless maps, and you have the means to make their maps flawless, by all means, go and do this! Though this forum is not a good place to promote private services.
Creator @: Duck or Die, Duck or Die CTF, Fuel Stack, Guernica, Normal, Frayed
A Looney Kumquat
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Looney Kumquat »

I agree, and I personally dont have the ability to fix the problems themselves, but more to help them find and fix the problems before they become a public thing, and by posting in this board your problems, your map must have already made it to the server list, and therefore everyone will know about the problem, but if you can, before releasing the map, come and accept my services, when the map is released, there wont be any problems, and if there were some unfixable ones, the admins will already be watching it.... and therefore it makes the mapmaker/host look EXTREMELY good, because nobody knew I helped him/her! but if I'm still missing something, let me know!
-ALK

OS Moment <"O""S" mo·ment>
1) Where one can see something bad about to happen, cant do a bloody thing about it, but still has time to say "Oh 5h!t!!!" 2) An action that makes all the surrounding people drop their jaw and say "Oh 5h!t...."
tw1sted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by tw1sted »

Its a well intentioned idea, but most map makers test their maps out themselves, and are aware of the glitches of their maps. Also, after the map is published and hosted, people usually report glitches and bugs with the map to the server admins/owner.

Also, im sure you wont be able to find every single glitch in every single map, as there are hundreds of different maps with hundreds of glitches.
flight
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by flight »

there are many people out there that don't have the ability to test their maps before going public, and that is why a looney kumquat is offereing this option.

this is supposed to reduce the amount of reporting that must go on while people are supposed to be playing the final version.

and although we might not be able to find all of the glitches we could probably find a lot!

it's just to give a little more help then what the forums may be able to offer. if any one needs help you just have to PM the map to me or a looney kumquat.
Triumph of the Soul
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Triumph of the Soul »

Ninety percent of the time, if an error is so blatantly obtrusive that it disrupts gameplay, BZFS will skip over it or not run the map file in the first place.

If you're talking about testing a playable map for major errors or essential gameplay changes, you might as well ask for a certain amount of credit for making the map. I, and I think many other map makers believe testing to be a process of map making in itself (if you can't test a map, you shouldn't be making one), and it should remain in the hands of the original map maker to test their map.

If, and only when a map is released/hosted publicly/both should suggestions be made about changes to a map. If there is a change to be made that is so large that it affects gameplay negatively, then the map probably won't be up in the first place. That is how the "Map Releases" section of the forum isn't flooded with mediocre maps on a day to day basis.
Creator @: Duck or Die, Duck or Die CTF, Fuel Stack, Guernica, Normal, Frayed
DTRemenak
General
General

Post by DTRemenak »

QA is a Good Thing. You'll never find all the problems in your own map by yourself; having someone else look over it can be helpful.

And hey, it's free. If you don't like it, don't use it, but there's no reason to bash the idea.