Making Maps WIth BZEdit32

Questions and answers about the how and why of making maps.
Lt-Kirby2007
Private First Class
Private First Class

Making Maps WIth BZEdit32

Post by Lt-Kirby2007 »

Okay, heres the jizz of it. My good friend PETER, who recomended downloading BZEdit32 to make a map. I have done this, but I have also downloaded pyBZEdit because I have heard u can can better results overall on the finish.

PETER has also kindly given me a reasonably detailed starter-off walkthrough guide, but there are still a couple of things that I cant seem to get my attention of which i have listed below.

1. I have got the hang of how to "twirl" the view around by right clicking and dragging around, but how do i litterally just surf around like u can for example on something like Google Earth.

2. After I have actually finished making the map, how do i run it as a server?

Now those are my main questions for BZEdit. Now onto the questions regarding pyBZEdit.

1. How long would it take roughly to create a half decent server. (for example, how long would it take to create a server like Loumans House, and how long would it take to create something like Planet Mofo, but with textures - obviously not these exact maps cos that wud be copying, but something of that standard of work)

2. When i made a rough map with it before and pressed "Run", an error message came up. Why was this? Am i doing sum nooby mistake (of which i seem to be doing quite alot lately)?

Please can anyone help me as quickly as humanly possible, because I am meant to be revising for my exams 2moro but cant be bothered atm lol - they are gonna total a massive 5 hours long. Tragic stuff. And I thanku all in advance for anyone who helps me :D

BZTANK.NET ADMIN - THE PLACE TO BE!!!!
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Making Maps WIth BZEdit32

Post by Grace F »

Lt-Kirby2007 wrote:1. I have got the hang of how to "twirl" the view around by right clicking and dragging around, but how do i litterally just surf around like u can for example on something like Google Earth.
I don't know what you mean :?

but umm here's what you can do:
Shift + Left Click = Movement back and forth/Side to Side
Ctrl + Left Click = Movement up and down
Scoller (Middle Mouse Button) = Zoom in and out.
Lt-Kirby2007 wrote: 2. After I have actually finished making the map, how do i run it as a server?
try googling for the many many pages on it :P

Nevermind, here is a link:
Creating A Server - BZFlag Wiki

And here is a sample Configuration File:
Sample Conf - BZFlag Wiki
Lt-Kirby2007 wrote: 1. How long would it take roughly to create a half decent server. (for example, how long would it take to create a server like Loumans House, and how long would it take to create something like Planet Mofo, but with textures - obviously not these exact maps cos that wud be copying, but something of that standard of work)
I can't really say but I could give an estimate. Probably, something like Loumans House, around a month. I could be way way off though, I have't ever made anything anywhere near as complex as his maps.

Lt-Kirby2007 wrote: 2. When i made a rough map with it before and pressed "Run", an error message came up. Why was this? Am i doing sum nooby mistake (of which i seem to be doing quite alot lately)?
Could you explain that a little more please. Pressed 'run' where?
What did the error message say?
Lt-Kirby2007
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Lt-Kirby2007 »

well i was in pyBZEdit this time wen i was trying to press run. It was on the tools menu bar at the top. And you had a choice of "Run Server", and another choice of "Run Server and BZFlag". The error message was:-

Execution of command "'C:\Program Files\Bzflag\bzfs.exe"-ms 10 -s 20 -sb -j +r -st 3 world "" failed (error 3: the system cannont find the path specified)

Now personally i have no clue on earth wot this means apart from it cant for sum reason run the server...but i dont know why. can u enlighten me? lol

Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

Well, I can't even begin where to tell you where you went wrong ;)

If you want to run your map on BZFlag.exe you'd want to enter the path to the bzfs application first.

As your on windows you'd type this in your Command Prompt:

Code: Select all

cd C:\\Program Files\\bzflag2.0.8
Then {Enter}

Then now you tell BZFS what Configuration File to run:

bzfs -conf kirbyno1.txt
Then {Enter}

To run the map you want you need a config. If you haven't created 1 you will only be able to run a random map.

Don't forget to add your World File into the config:

-world "C:\Documents and Settings\Grace\My Documents\My BZFlag Files\worlds\mapname.bzw"
You do also need to include --> " <-- at the start and end like I've done above
Lt-Kirby2007
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Lt-Kirby2007 »

ok that sounds to complicated for me. as much as i love computers, and as much as i love bzflag...im useless at all those codes etc. is it any easier for BZEdit? and wot do i do for that?

Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

Lt-Kirby2007 wrote:ok that sounds to complicated for me. as much as i love computers, and as much as i love bzflag...im useless at all those codes etc.
Same :) Though, what I know now about all this stuff, which is fairly basic is all thanks to BZFlag :P Im a teenager (15) so I don't have much time to actually sit back and learn C/C++ :P
Lt-Kirby2007 wrote:is it any easier for BZEdit? and wot do i do for that?
Do you mean to run a map straight from BZEdit?

If yes - you can't ;) You need to use BZFS. If you want me to explain how to run your map quickly (it literally only takes like 5-10mins :P) tell me and i'll reply with a "Nooby Version" of what I said above :)
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

For a reasonably decent map give it about a month like Grace F said. Some people can crank them out a lot faster. On the other hand, I worked on Tunnels on and off for about six months. Just depends on what you want to create.
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Making Maps WIth BZEdit32

Post by CannonBallGuy »

Lt-Kirby2007 wrote:1. How long would it take roughly to create a half decent server. (for example, how long would it take to create a server like Loumans House, and how long would it take to create something like Planet Mofo, but with textures - obviously not these exact maps cos that wud be copying, but something of that standard of work)
You would have a hell of a lot of trouble making something like Home Sweet Home in (py)BZEdit. Try "Wings3D" and/or "Blender".
Lt-Kirby2007 wrote:Please can anyone help me as quickly as humanly possible, because I am meant to be revising for my exams 2moro but cant be bothered atm lol - they are gonna total a massive 5 hours long. Tragic stuff. And I thanku all in advance for anyone who helps me :D
I have almost 15 hours of exams, with more than 5 hours on one day. God-only-knows how I've managed to not be totally EMO about it.

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007
Lt-Kirby2007
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Lt-Kirby2007 »

Cannonball....that last bit of ur comment was a bit inappropriate dont u think