Xmission Style

General talk about the map making process.
Grumbler
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Xmission Style

Post by Grumbler »

Ok, first, I am not even sure if Tim would allow us to replace the map that is currently running on xmission, but after Patty's comment, I decided to give it a shot. First, I have to have a map that Tim could use as a replacement. So here is a working copy.

unforturnately it is very difficult to test a ctf map with one person. so, if a couple of people could get together and a server owner could sponsor this map(or one like it) for a bit, maybe we could give Tim a better alternative.

I tried to keep some of the tactics alive, fix some of the bogus stuff, and add a couple new items. Since the bases are now in the corners, I created teleporters that move you around counter-clockwise(?) to keep the distances close enough to keep play fast. I also kept the X in the same orientation to allow quick steals and quick captures.

I also created fewer laser shoot through locations.(not entirely, i love laser too much to do that) GM will be a little less effective because of the additional blocks and longer shooting distances.

and most importantly, there should be fewer spawn kills due to the newer spread of blocks. at least i hope.
Attachments
Xmission_replac.map
Working Xmission replacement map
(8.94 KiB) Downloaded 359 times
.........you kids, get out of my tank...........
Grumbler
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by Grumbler »

Carp, hate when I do that. Found a block size problem on one side.
Attachments
Xmission_replac.map
(8.94 KiB) Downloaded 330 times
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

Note, you will have to e-mail the map to him, as he does not read these boards.
ImageJeffM
SGI
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SGI »

Koba wrote:
unforturnately it is very difficult to test a ctf map with one person. so, if a couple of people could get together and a server owner could sponsor this map
check here Koba and Im doing my best (pushing Quol) to have this server working:
http://bzbb.bakadigital.com/viewtopic.php?t=912
But you know already about it :) you posted
Is true a server called MM will be intresting for Maps Maker,probably is better Maps Designer.....ok repeat everything:
A server called MD will be intresting for testing the new maps (CTF and FFA) and funny for the players.
menotume
Major General
Major General

Post by menotume »

Koba, your map is up at: 68.80.195.106:5155 (public). It's only a cable-modem server, and may not always be up, but at least it's a start. Please let me know what flags, etc. you would like to try.

The server performs fairly well up to 8 people.
megachirops
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by megachirops »

yay!!! The discovery of a new server.. Plus the cherry on top! It's a new server discovery WITH a new map!!! :)
"When in doubt, quit"
Grumbler
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by Grumbler »

updated map with changes to the transporters and block sizes.
Attachments
Xmission_replac.map
(8.93 KiB) Downloaded 355 times
Grumbler
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by Grumbler »

slight mod to the thinkness of the X structure.

for the most part, this looks good enough to send. there is one outstanding issue: the upper teleporters. to make up for the increased map size/travel distance, I made a teleporter super highway around the map. The issue is that it is really quick to move around, maybe too quick. You can steal and capture a flag in under 1 minute, possibly faster with more skill.

there is also another issue, we had a purple flag get stuck IN the purple base. THis is definitely a bug, but because xmission does not get flag reset all that often, something like this could be a pain. Does anyone know of a map structure way around this?

oh well, i am going to leave this here for a couple days to provide time for feedback. thanks to menotume for hosting the map last night allowing some key problems to be addressed.
Attachments
Xmission_replac.map
Xmission 0.3
(8.93 KiB) Downloaded 353 times
CapN
Private First Class
Private First Class

New Xmission Map

Post by CapN »

Hey Koba,

I checked out the new map for just a little bit. Yeah, I think you are right about the tele.'s. I dont think you need a "quick" way to get to the flag. Especially given the crowd normally on Xmission. Having it harder to capture the flag is ok I think...just takes more teamwork. :)

I'm not sure if his server can take it but maybe he could have 4 on each team...that might help.

Anyways....looks good....but think people will definitely take advantage of the tele.'s.

-CapN-
Legolas
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Legolas »

Hey Koba,the new xmission map looks GREAT!
menotume
Major General
Major General

Post by menotume »

The server can handle 8 players fairly well, and is currently set up for 4 per team. I will grap Koba's latest update when I get home tonite and put it up (around 7 to 8pm Eastern).
Grumbler
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by Grumbler »

ok, this version should fix up the following issues:

1. solid center block traps team flag.
2. side catwalks extended outside map causing tanks to get stuck
3. some jumps between blocks were too tight
4. blocks surrounding bases increased just a little to help newbies with jumps.
Attachments
Xmission_replac.map
version 0.4
(9.16 KiB) Downloaded 350 times
Grumbler
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by Grumbler »

ok beyond the updated map I just posted above, there is an issue where the team flag gets stuck in thickness of the base block. this prevents a team from picking it up.

is there a way to prevent this with map design?
menotume
Major General
Major General

Post by menotume »

Just a guess, but how about if you create your own platform that matches that of the base in dimensions and position? It would also make the map more uniform on servers using less than all four teams. Might work. You may have to make the platform ever so slightly lower than the base.

I'll probably post your latest version tonight around 6-7pm.
SGI
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SGI »

Menotune wrote:
Koba, your map is up at: 68.80.195.106:5155 (public). It's only a cable-modem server, and may not always be up, but at least it's a start.
Please let me know what flags, etc. you would like to try.
If the MAP DESIGNER add a second file (TXT) with her/his map/flags configuration we/you dont need to ask anymore....

The following is just an EXAMPLE
+f CL +f GM +f ID +f L +f OO +f ST +f SW -f JP -f R -j -mo 0 -mp 3,3,3,3,3 -r +r +s 15 -s 15 -sa -st 10 -sw 1 -t -public "Now playing MAP_NAME by MAP_AUTHOR_NAME" -publicaddr "YOUR.IP.ADRESS:" -srvmsg "Welcome to MAP_NAME by MAP_AUTHOR_NAME" -world "MAP_FILE_NAME
menotume
Major General
Major General

Post by menotume »

Yes, very good idea. As an alternative, if for some reason the MD isn't familiar with server command-line options, the .txt file should at least provide a list of flags, jump, rico, antidote options, etc.

In this particular case, I just assumed the basic setup of xmission, but the flags probably don't match.
SGI
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SGI »

You can write a "templatetxt"file (in this way you now what you looking for) with an explanation for the MD and send to.
Or you can add here your template form.
The MD download your template and fill out and in the next map you have the map and configuration Files.
SGI
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SGI »

Another idea ...to write a GUI (dont ask me ) like BZFSGUI I remember it was 1.9 you have all selection from CTF and FFA to the flags,player, world name and server name......btw I think with that GUI you can have an output
batch file.....edit and you have your text file to add with your map.
I dont remember where it was but probably someone know about it.

Found it
http://sourceforge.net/projects/bzfsgui/
megachirops
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by megachirops »

SGI wrote:Another idea ...to write a GUI (dont ask me ) like BZFSGUI I remember it was 1.9 you have all selection from CTF and FFA to the flags,player, world name and server name......btw I think with that GUI you can have an output
batch file.edit and you have your text file to add with your map.
I dont remember where it was but probably someone know about it.

Found it
http://sourceforge.net/projects/bzfsgui/
Just PM dtremenak, he's the author of the GUI. BTW, the GUI is up to ver 2.3 or so...
"When in doubt, quit"
SGI
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SGI »

you can use the BZFSGUI 2.3 ...just what you need is a couple direction from the owner of the server(Advertisment message ,useport, password..naturally here you just insert an *** ,make server and bla bla and after your output will be an batch file edit the file and you have the configuration ready to go...........the owner of the server he need only to insert the password and other simple stuff but is almost finish.
The MD have is flags/jumps/rico..intent
what you think.
Grumbler
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by Grumbler »

Well, I changed some more things. Since, after discussions, this map was not going to make it to Xmission, I decided to add a little more detail to the map.(just a little)

Still have not heard if there is map technique to prevent the flag from getting lost in the base, but I assume there will be a fix for that eventually.
Attachments
Xmission_replac.map
Xmission v0.4, renamed to AsteriX v1.0
(9.99 KiB) Downloaded 354 times
Grumbler
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by Grumbler »

I have included a set of suggest commands to run the server.
Attachments
AsteriX.map
AsteriX v1.0
(9.99 KiB) Downloaded 354 times
AsteriX_Flags.txt
AsteriX v1.0 Flag Recommendations
(5.09 KiB) Downloaded 364 times
SGI
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SGI »

Remember to change your extension file from AsteriX.map to AsteriX.bzw......
Im trying to have an idea for the "suggest commands" template to help who dont know the server configuration.
Grumbler
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by Grumbler »

The reason I was using *.map, is that is the default extenstion in bzedit. What is the issue if you dont use *.bzw?
SGI
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SGI »

Sorry bad explanation ...there isnt any issue about it."
They are both ""BiZiWorld""
But normally I tested the map with the *.bzw (-world *.bzw)
And I loaded your map with only the name AsteriX with my old script ..the extension was .bzw".
And after the server was unable the find the map AsteriX.map
SGI wake up .......
There is any issue
SGI he is an issue
you can use both in the server command but remember to use the same name and extension
Sorry
Last edited by SGI on Tue Aug 05, 2003 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.