Tank Size on Radar...

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
L4m3r
Hater of Everything
Hater of Everything

Post by L4m3r »

Oh, if you're only talking about the radar blip for YOUR tank, you should have said so.

Such a thing would in fact be utterly useless for dodging. Clearly a "skill"-focused player such as yourself should be aware that the tank's hit zone is a truncated sphere, not a rectangle. So, it would make more sense to have a round dot as your blip for dodging.
Optimism is just a milder alternative to denial.
Saturos
Art Master General
Art Master General

Post by Saturos »

L4m3r wrote:is a truncated sphere, not a rectangle.
Truncated? Really? Isnt it a perfect circle when looking from top?
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

This is just a tiny bit off topic, but no one has mentioned the variable _boxHieght yet.
It will make the box around the tank on radar bigger or smaller, depending on the height of the tank above zero.
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

Davy Jones wrote:they cannot tell the direction even if it was a rectangle....it would only show a hwite rectangle, instead of a square...
You CAN tell - or at least guess, you got a 50% chance of guessing right - if the tank is represented by a rectangle instead of a square.

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

I'm still not sure what the heck Davy is talking about. If we make them rectangles, and then don't make them properly turn based on the rotation of each tank, then what is the point of making them rectangles? So Davy, maybe explain in a LOT more detail what you're talking about.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

L4m3r
Hater of Everything
Hater of Everything

Post by L4m3r »

Saturos wrote:Truncated? Really? Isnt it a perfect circle when looking from top?
No, you have it right. the truncation is in the xy-plane; it's still circular when viewed from the top. From what I understand it's a sort of hemisphere with the top chopped off.
blast wrote:I'm still not sure what the heck Davy is talking about. If we make them rectangles, and then don't make them properly turn based on the rotation of each tank, then what is the point of making them rectangles? So Davy, maybe explain in a LOT more detail what you're talking about.
I think he's only talking about the local tank blip, not the remote players.
dango
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dango »

it it is the local tank blip, or even all tank blips, the tank blip on the radar does not turn with the radar, so for other tanks it would just be fault hope. If you did it locally, what is the point? It the bullet gets in the current tank bip box, you're usually as good as dead anyhow.
Saber
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Saber »

If I understand, Davy means that your own tank will be rectangle shaped so it might improve the dodging. Even if it's a rectangle when you zoom a lot, I think Davy is asking for a rectangle at any zoom. Correct me if I'm wrong.
L4m3r
Hater of Everything
Hater of Everything

Post by L4m3r »

Saber wrote:If I understand, Davy means that your own tank will be rectangle shaped so it might improve the dodging. Even if it's a rectangle when you zoom a lot, I think Davy is asking for a rectangle at any zoom. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Yes, you are correct, but Davy does not seem to realize that the shape of your tank is not indicative of its hit area.
Davy Jones
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Davy Jones »

So your saying that you h ave a hit zone that is larger than the tank...?
Owner @ The Twin Towers
Admin @ The Two Boxes
Cop @ Army Of One
Saber
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Saber »

Smaller.
It's like a circle in the rectangle. It approximatively looks like that (made it in less than 30 secs).
The red is the tank and the yellow is the hit zone
the_j0k3r
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by the_j0k3r »

though i tend to find that even very small amounts of lag tend to affect the hit zone
L4m3r
Hater of Everything
Hater of Everything

Post by L4m3r »

Saber wrote:Smaller.
It's like a circle in the rectangle. It approximatively looks like that (made it in less than 30 secs).
The red is the tank and the yellow is the hit zone
Actually I'm pretty sure it's a perfect circle, not an ellipse. It sticks out the sides and does not quite reach the front or rear of the tank.

Try it for yourself- if you shoot just to either side of a stationary tank, it will explode. however, you can shoot through the very end in the front or rear and it won't.
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

The effect L4M3R is talking about becomes very obvious if you increase _tankLength, _tankWidth, _tankHieght, and then increase _tankRadius to match. When you set these variables you have to re-join to see the effects.
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.