Mirrored Surfaces?

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
LouMan
Chief Sgt. of Cartography
Chief Sgt. of Cartography

Mirrored Surfaces?

Post by LouMan »

I think that it would be useful and fun to be able to make a mesh surface reflective. I realize that it is possible to make the ground reflective using the mirror option, but wouldn't it be fun to turn around a corner, see yourself, and shoot - only to have the ricochet kill you? :wink:

I have considered a few maps that would require this type of option to be totally effective (e.g. a bathroom wouldn't be complete without a mirror).

I'm not sure how this would be implemented or if it would adversely affect framerate, but I have made a few maps in other games that had this option...
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

It basically involves rendering the scene shown in the reflection another time.
Mirrored ground render the world twice, so that does affect frame rate.
The ground was easy to do since it doesn't involve a complex clipping path to clamp the reflected image inside the shape. A general mirror system would require some decent changes to our rendering system. It can't be done with the code as it sits now ( we'd need some stencils and stuff to clip the image ). The code for it exists in many tutorials and isn't that complex, but someone would have to add it into the client.

Multiple mirrors showing each other's reflections can also get "fun".
ImageJeffM
asciimonster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Radar

Post by asciimonster »

Most players use the radar and won't be fooled by a reflection, unless you turn it off. Or... You draw a reflections in the radar screen. :D let's go hacking! :wink:

Don't 3D cards have standard reflection procedures?
the_j0k3r
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by the_j0k3r »

wow, that is a great idea. imagine a map (obviously with no radar) which is just a maze of all these mirrors, and you saw all the enemy tanks in the mirrors but didnt know when to shoot and when not to.
sounds brilliant.