texture sizes and "complex" shapes

Questions and answers about the how and why of making maps.
flight
Private First Class
Private First Class

texture sizes and "complex" shapes

Post by flight »

i have two questions that are a little different but both are map making so i hope this is an ok place to ask both.

(i'm using a texteditor not blender) lets say i have a meshbox size of 10 10 10 and i want to put a material on it such as blue_bolt.png however i don't want the blue bullet to repeat like it normally would. i just want one big bullet on each side of the meshbox. also, how would i do this if i wanted to do gernerally the same thing but on the floor texture. how would i change the size of the material. so for example

material
name GroundMaterial <i think that's the right code
addtexture blue_team.png
end

what do i add to that to make the the blue_team.png image not reapeat. just have that one picture take the entire floor.

also how would i get a material to appear on only a particular part of the floor, say just 10 10 in the middle but have the rest the default std_ground.png?

now about the hopefully quick question about complex shaps. what effect will the options shear shift and scale do? i've tried messing with them and testing them but there isn't really an effect i notice. also what do the smoothbouce and flatshading do? i've looked these up on multiple web pages and they just say that the shift options shifts the object. :|

thanks for the help
anomaly
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by anomaly »

try looking at http://my.bzflag.org/w/Meshbox, and you can use a textureMatrix to scale the texture. Its trial and error though. Also in the bzw man page:

meshbox :=
"divisions" <integer>
| "angle" angle
| "ratio" <float>
| "texsize" <float> <float> <float> <float>
| "phydrv" <physics_driver_name>
| "smoothbounce"
| "flatshading"
| material
| ("top" | "bottom" | "inside" | "outside" | "startside" |
"endside") material
| obstacle
maybe texsize can scale the texture?

Shift is like position, it can be used to position a group for instance
Shear and scale will work, i've used them, you can find out more by looking up 3d transformations on the web.
flight
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by flight »

ohh!! you are right. a textureMatrix will do the trick. i used the option
fixedscale.

it workes great

i don't know what the texsize does though, if any body knows let us know thanks.

and also what do the "endside and startside" do. i am familiar with the top matref and bottom and all that but i've never heard of endside or startside.
anomaly
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by anomaly »

("top" | "bottom" | "inside" | "outside" | "startside" | "endside") are the faces or sides of the cube or meshbox. top and bottom are obvious, the others could be found out by experimenting. i don't think that inside and outside mean the 'inside' of the meshbox, it's a particular side, on the 'outside, of the box. :?
L4m3r
Hater of Everything
Hater of Everything

Post by L4m3r »

There are some extra params there because meshboxes are actually arc objects, and they're converted by BZFS before being sent to the client. "inside", "startside", "endside" make sense for arcs, but not meshboxes, because meshboxes are closed and filled in the center. However, they're supported because the arc object supports them.
Optimism is just a milder alternative to denial.
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

Here's how materials are applied to arcs (and meshboxes).

Obviously bottom isn't pictured.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon