Simple Modeling Question Re: Tank Models / Code

Questions or HOWTOs about the above? Post 'em here...
Sir Lance-A-Lot
Private First Class
Private First Class

Simple Modeling Question Re: Tank Models / Code

Post by Sir Lance-A-Lot »

Newb Question: How were the tank models originally created? I can see they have hundreds of different coordinates in the code, but it's nearly impossible to create a model by hand like that..I may have some interest in revamping the model-side of the game. The collsion points can stay the same, I just want to see how hard it would be to actually use a different model.

So, is there a certain modeling program that can export to C++ like that? I found a plugin for milkshape that says this:

msOpenGLCppExporter.zip : C/C++ Header exporter for OpenGL/DirectX programs by Bob Nemeth

Does that have anything remotely to do with the BZ models?

Just tell me to leave if I'm bugging you... :wink:
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

the bzflag models were made by hand. Not modeled in any program.

There are apps like you show that can output C code for models, but they were not used by bzflag.

the bzflag game code is not set up to allow for easy model changes, all constants for the models are hardcoded ( like the number of parts, where they spin when they explode, etc.. ) as well as the actual geometry.

you can probably hack in the output from that app into bzflag, but it won't just be a simple "drop in", you will have to modify other code to get it to work correctly.
ImageJeffM