Slow Performance with all Linux installs

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
Uzzi
Private First Class
Private First Class

Slow Performance with all Linux installs

Post by Uzzi »

I'm running BZflag on SLED 10, finally got in installed from source, however now there is a long pause whenever I move the up or down arrows (or any) in the initial setup. Playing a game would be impossible with this delay. Is this a memory issue? I've got an HP laptop, 512mem with 128 vid Ram and a Centrino Duo 1800 Mghz.

It seems whenever I try to install Bzflag, in Linux on other laptops with Nvidia or ATI cards it the same issue. This ranges from 32 megs of video ram to 64 to 128 (on my different laptops)

All these machines are dual boot and I'll flip over to Windows and it installs and works perfectly. Unfortunatly I hate Windows and hate to boot over to it just to play bzflag.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

you should make sure that you have the hardware accelerated video drivers installed on your linux installs. The default drivers for most linux installs are not hardware accelerated. It is usualy best to get the current driver from ethat ATI or nVidia.
ImageJeffM
Uzzi
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Uzzi »

I have an Intel 945 GM is there an accel vid driver for this card?

In Suse or SAX2 rather, DRI and noDCC are highlighted. Is this mean anything to the issue?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

DRI is a somewhat generic driver interface, and may not accellerate all cards to there maximum potential. You should check with intel to see if they have newer/better drivers for your chipset.
ImageJeffM
pyr0
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by pyr0 »