Dual-monitor stereo 3D bzflag!

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
Brave Sir Robin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Dual-monitor stereo 3D bzflag!

Post by Brave Sir Robin »

After some fiddling, I've devised a way to get dual-monitor stereo 3D out of BZFlag (one monitor is right eye, the other is left), at least on Windows. It should work on any OS that allows you to specify the position of dual monitors. The trick is BZFlag's -view stacked option.
To do it, set up your two monitors' resolution so that a sample window (any window will do) stretched across both screens is the same size physically (get out a ruler if necessary.)
Then set your dual monitors to having the secondary monitor below the primary monitor. Take the least y coordinate of the two monitors (i.e. mine are 1154x864 and 1280x800, so the y would be 800) and the least x (1154 in my case), and set your BZFlag to x by 2y with the -geometry switch (e.g. bzflag.exe -geometry 1154x1600). If your primary monitor is the bigger y coordinate (for example, if the 864 were my primary), subtract its y from your "special" y (864-800 = 64) and make that your y offset. So it would be "-geometry 1154x1600+0+64." If your primary monitor is the smallest, make it +0+0. So, with the -view stacked option (splits your screen into two halves, top and bottom), your final command line for this example would be:
"C:\path\to\bzflag\bzflag.exe" -geometry 1154x1600+0+64 -view stacked
Set them up, grab an external keyboard, joystick, or mouse, sit way back, and enjoy big stereo 3D.
Let me know if you actually set this up and it works. ;)
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

i'll have a go. the only thing is my laptop has a 12" screen at 1024x768, but my only other free monitor is a massive old Radius studio monitor (about 17") that runs at 1600x1200.

might end up a bit wierd....
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
Brave Sir Robin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Should work...

I had (i think) a 15-inch and a 17-inch...that's what the first step is for - just play with the resolution on the second monitor until they're the same size physically. Right is on top and left is on the bottom, so for crosseyed, you would want the secondary monitor (bottom = left) to the right of the primary monitor (laptop). The monitors should be aligned in the display control panel so that the left side of the monitor is aligned to the left side of the display, like this:
.-----------.
|...H.........|
|...H.........|<----Laptop (1)
|...HHH.....|
'------------'
.------------------.
|......................|
|......H\.../H......|
|......H..V..H......|<----Monitor (2)
|......H......H......|
|......................|
'------------------'

Hope that helps.
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

ok i got it. i'm giving it a go.

edit: whoa this monitor is bigger than i thought! it's 20 inches, and goes right up to 2304x1728! i set it at 1024 x 768 for test puposes
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
Brave Sir Robin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Actually played a little today...

Well, I actually played a little crosseyed today (in the retro map, if you were wondering), and it was pretty cool. I have yet to play in another map. Whether it's worth the trouble? I'll wait until I've played "solid" maps before I say. But, a couple comments:
:arrow: I had my monitors backwards. Crosseyed should be the other way around than my above post. If your primary (laptop) screen is wider than your normal screen (probably), you'll have to add an x-offset just like with the y.
:arrow: My final settings w/ a 1024x768 monitor and a 1200x800 laptop was:

Code: Select all

bzflag.exe -geometry 1024x1536+256+32
:arrow: A few tweaks to make it better:
__ :arrow: Turn down the graphics if necessary - it's more taxing, I think
__ :arrow: Turn your "treads" option off in Graphics settings. It really gets trippy, especially with some flags, looking at something that close - it's just bad. Don't do it.
__ :arrow: As I have to sit farther away, I grab a joystick and turn the radar size up (under GUI settings).
Other than that, it was a strange experience. I created a separate shortcut for stereo mode, it makes it easier. Anyway, let me know how you do, and thanks for showing interest, Spazzy. :)

DISCLAIMER: I am not responsible for any injuries that might occur trying to do this. This includes back strain (from lifting your monitor), electrocution, or eye strain. That said, it kind of messes with your eyes for a while, but they'll go back to normal after a short while of looking at things not crosseyed.