More view modes (stereo, in particular)

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
Brave Sir Robin
Private First Class
Private First Class

More view modes (stereo, in particular)

Post by Brave Sir Robin »

I was checking out the various view modes (the -view option), and the setreo mode doesn't work with my hardware. The "stacked" view, however, does work, as well as anaglyph (and maybe others, haven't checked).
The best way for me to view stereo is crosseyed (left eye on right side, right eye on left side). Now, it shouldn't be too hard to modify the "stacked" view to incorporate side-by-side instead of "stacked," should it? If I knew where the code was (got lost in CVS pretty quick), I could poke around, but I think it'd be easier for whoever originally did it to tweak it.
Ideally, I imagine two additional options: "parallel" and "crosseyed" for the -view option. Parallel would render a left-eye view on the left side of a split screen and right-eye on the right side (using the same methods as the "stacked," since it doesn't appear to require any special hardware support), and "crosseyed" would render a left-eye view on the right side and a right-eye view on the left side.
Am I making sense, and is this a lot harder than I imagine? I would love to be able to play bzflag in 3D without funky glasses (they never have worked well for me).
P.S. A tip for all: In the meantime, I'm sending off for my free red/cyan glasses. :)
Brave Sir Robin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Where in CVS?

Post by Brave Sir Robin »

Can anyone at least point me to where in the CVS the command line options, particularly -view, are handled (i.e. where is the code for the "stacked" option)? That would be helpful, as I'm quite lost. Thanks,
5of0

Edit: I think I actually found it here: /bzflag/src/bzflag/bzflag.cxx...is this the place in cvs that corresponds to the 2.0.8 release, and if not, does such a place exist?
BZFlag is in C++, right, so can I just compile it with whatever c++ compiler I have on hand, or are there special flags or whatnot that have to be set? :|
Skeeve
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: More view modes (stereo, in particular)

Post by Skeeve »

5of0 wrote:Ideally, I imagine two additional options: "parallel" and "crosseyed" for the -view option. Parallel would render a left-eye view on the left side of a split screen and right-eye on the right side (using the same methods as the "stacked," since it doesn't appear to require any special hardware support), and "crosseyed" would render a left-eye view on the right side and a right-eye view on the left side.
I would love to try that!
Avatar created with South Park Studio

Don't you hate it when your posts get deleted without any note?
Skeeve
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: More view modes (stereo, in particular)

Post by Skeeve »

5of0 wrote:P.S. A tip for all: In the meantime, I'm sending off for my free red/cyan glasses. :)
And for the german watchers, which can't send an SASE (Self Addressed, Stamped Envelop) to the US: Currently BMW sends out some stuff to advertise a new Roadster, including free Red/Cyan Glasses - you have to offer your soul in return ;) - or at least your personal information...

Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

loads of companies all over the world produce red/cyan glasses, probably cheaper than in BMW's package.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
Skeeve
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Skeeve »

Spazzy Mcgee wrote:loads of companies all over the world produce red/cyan glasses, probably cheaper than in BMW's package.
You get it for free (for your contact data so not completely free).