whats the moving object code...?

Questions and answers about the how and why of making maps.
who123
Private First Class
Private First Class

whats the moving object code...?

Post by who123 »

TD-Linux wrote:Moving objects aren't terribly complex if they are implemented in a simple way... the tanks are a good example :P

I don't think Tim Riker has anything against it (don't quote me on that) though it would be a lot of work for the developers.

There is actually code in 2.0.6+ to make objects rotate around the Z axis, written by trepan. However, the object MUST be drivethrough and shootthrough, as the physics don't take account.

What I'd like to see is being able to move objects by defining a motion path, basically a circular or back-and-forth path defined by several points. Possibly speed and weight data (if smooth speedups and slowdowns are included) could be included with each point.

My guess is that it will happen in BZFlag, but it will probably take a while, and it probably won't be in 2.2.x.
i saw this in a couple of message chains down, does anyone actually know of the code?
joevano
General
General

Re: whats the moving object code...?

Post by joevano »

who123 wrote:
TD-Linux wrote:There is actually code in 2.0.6+ to make objects rotate around the Z axis, written by trepan. However, the object MUST be drivethrough and shootthrough, as the physics don't take account.
i saw this in a couple of message chains down, does anyone actually know of the code?
To clarify you mean the code for rotating around the Z axis, correct? Because no other moving objects are supported in BZFlag. I did not read the entire post but this seems to have lots of explanatin about Trepan's 2.0.6 mods http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?t=5031.
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

This map has plenty of moving objects. I downloaded it from trepan's testserver just before last christmas. I spent two days playing around with it, and it was alot of fun, really! I just kept deleting parts of it, testing, then deleting more, and seeing what happened. Some unexpected things happened. At one point i had eight spheres that moved in 4 new trajectories!
I was eventually able to reduce it to one sphere that moved in a sngle circle.
When you look at the full map, it's not one sphere moving in a figure 8. It's two spheres that each move in a circle, one or the other is always invisible.
Some of the things in the file that look like gear definitions, aren't. I found the textures to be a better guide to what is what, than the word "gear" in the file. (change the texture to see what's what)

it's too big to attach here. max size on bzbb 1 MB
http://www.garrettsites.net/bzmaps/inde ... ail&id=212
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

served

Post by optic delusion »

I put this map on a private server, to see it in action, join
a-delusion.no-ip.org port 5157
I'll leave it up for at least 2 days.
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.