HDRish (even trepan will be in awe :D )

BZFlag related only please...please attach large images
Waistless
Private First Class
Private First Class

HDRish (even trepan will be in awe :D )

Post by Waistless »

Ok, i was poking around and found this HDRish Smartshader from this thread: http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16282, It produces the bloom effect, and It only works with ATI Radeon cards, 9500 and above.

without HDRish

with HDRish

Now, i originally had to adjust the values lower to look better, the Bloom effect looks better when you turn the brightness on very dark. however due to the incompetence of the screenshot generater, and the way ctrl+v with paint works, i was only able to save them at the default brightness value.

If you want effects like these, you can, all you need is an ATI Radeon card 9500 series or higher, with a recent Catalyst driver. Download the attatchment and read the following instructions.

Unzip "hdrish" anywhere, go inside the folder, then open "psscontrol2", click browse, go into the folder "all" (inside hdrish), and open "HDRish.pss". The smartshader is now loaded, just launch bzflag. Also turn brightness low to see a full realistic effect ;)
This effect can be used with any game in OpenGL, but it won't work with Direct3D.

EDIT NOTE: Also, this won't work with Catalyst 6.4 and above. Apologies but i can't do anything about that, ATI got a brain disease and removed smartshader support from those drivers.

Apologies to NVIDIA users though, since those cards don't have the ATI smartshader feature.
Attachments
Smartshaders.zip
(231.33 KiB) Downloaded 146 times
Last edited by Waistless on Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:51 am, edited 9 times in total.
Could this tank perhaps go a little bit faster, so it's not being overtaken by stationary objects.
"Words in parentheses can (not) be ignored." -Unknown
Winterberry
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Winterberry »

Drat. I have a 9100.

Looks really nice though. Really really nice...makes me think more seriously about upgrading sooner than I've been planning. :)
^nightmare^
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ^nightmare^ »

Wow looks a whole lot better than the last one. Great work!
Need bzflag help? Try looking here: http://www.freewebs.com/bznightmare/map ... aghelp.htm
Tanner
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Tanner »

Can you resize the screenshots? They are a bit...big. :P

-Tanner
Tanner - Segway HT i180 Red Owner - Random Map Creator - BZStocks - TS Software

TD-Linux
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by TD-Linux »

I saw a screenshot from trepan about a month ago using a similar shader for a lighting effect on the bullets.

I'll be very impressed when ATI decides to release a decent driver for Linux that can handle these 'smartshaders'.
Think_Different
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Think_Different »

what about us nVidia/mac people?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

it's an ATI windows driver only thing.

it dosn't realy modify bzflag, it just plays with the openGL calls and the balance of colors to tweak the final image and make it look like High Dynamic Range lighting, hence the "ish" part.

so it will only work for them, since there is no actual change to bzflag, or the code.

proper shader support would be writen into bzflag and work on more then just newer ATI cards under windows.
ImageJeffM
Waistless
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Waistless »

^^Jeff is on the ball^^
Tanner wrote:Can you resize the screenshots? They are a bit...big. :P

-Tanner
It doesn't matter that they're big, they're only JPGs, plus better detail when it's at 1600x1200 ;)

As said in the posted linked article, if you're a hardcore modifier and you want to adjust the intensity of the glows, simply open "HDRish.pss" with text editor and find this line:

Code: Select all

MAD result.color, blur, 0.25, back;
and change "0.25" to any number between 1 and 0, with 1 being the highest.
Could this tank perhaps go a little bit faster, so it's not being overtaken by stationary objects.
"Words in parentheses can (not) be ignored." -Unknown
Tanner
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Tanner »

Waistless wrote:^^Jeff is on the ball^^
Tanner wrote:Can you resize the screenshots? They are a bit...big. :P

-Tanner
It doesn't matter that they're big, they're only JPGs, plus better detail when it's at 1600x1200 ;)
Thumbnails would work linking to the bigger picture.

-Tanner
Tanner - Segway HT i180 Red Owner - Random Map Creator - BZStocks - TS Software