How 2 use commands like /help and register callsign

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
Dont Kill Me
Private First Class
Private First Class

How 2 use commands like /help and register callsign

Post by Dont Kill Me »

Various places they mention using something like "/help register" but that doesn't seem to do anything on v2.04, or else there's something they're not telling.
Basically, I've registered here, but if I use that for Callsign and Pass when entering a game, it tells me the name's registered and to identify myself, which I just did.
The only alternative is to play as something else, unregistered, where that's allowed.
So, what am I missing?
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

You must deregister yourself. First /identify like you always did and then do:

Code: Select all

/deregister
If that doesn't work (I can't remember if you need password there or not...) try this: (replace myPassword with the password you use for /identify )

/deregister myPassword
Now rejoin the server and it will use global registration! :)
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Email me: bzmet…@gmail.com
Dont Kill Me
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dont Kill Me »

Thanks for replying. I only recently got Broadband, so only recently started playing, as of a couple of weeks ago. So I only know version 2.04.
I'm afraid I don't understand, up until now I've done as the provided documentation has stated, giving a callsign and password on joining a game, no mention of /identify or /register commands or how to use them. Previously I've gotten No Token Given, as the Callsign is unregistered, but been able to play as the instructions have indicated. I followed the server comments to this board and registered, which is when I have been unable to join with that callsign, hence I need to use a new unregistered one for playing.
So, is this a bug in v2.04, or is there something I don't get here?
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

Hmmm... if you know nothing of /register or /identify then you must of never used them, which is what would be causing this problem. Make sure your password and callsign on the Join Game screen is exactly correct.

Other than that there should be nothing doing that, unless you're behind a proxy which I doubt for broadband.
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Dont Kill Me
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dont Kill Me »

No, my modem has a router, though, but I haven't seen anything on ports that need forwarding, or unblocked by the firewall. Are there any ports needed for BZFlag to send/get the player info?
Also, as this is on Windows, there's the possibility the Windows client could have bugs the Linux one doesn't. I have come across 2 display bugs in v2.04, but managed to get them to go away. Hard to reproduce, though.
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

Dont Kill Me
You do not need ports open to play BZFlag. (client mode)

Your ISP may have a proxy in which case you will not be able to login.

You can though, use a different port. Search for your config.cfg file (using find function thing) and open it in NotePad. Go down to this line:

#set list http://my.BZFlag.org/db/
Now change it to this:

set list http://my.BZFlag.org:81/db/
If it's not a proxy problem this will do nothing, but if it is it will bypass it (hopefully).
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Dont Kill Me
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dont Kill Me »

Cool, this fixed it; it now accepts my Global login. For the record, the config.cfg file on Windows is in the
My Documents/My BZFlag Files/2.0/ folder (for version 2.x, obviously). Presumably it will be in a dot-folder in the Home directory on Unix/Linux.
This is one for the FAQ I think, and if the developers are around, for the included ReadMe troubleshooter.

Curiously, I tried it on a server requiring global login where I'd been unable to play before. It worked, but after some time I got kicked off with a Timed Out.

Question: Is this the official login server for all the game servers? ie will it always be http://my.BZFlag.org:81/db/ ?

Followup: Previously, I tried changing the Callsign here to No Killer, but it wouldn't accept it, it didn't say because it existed. Apart from the guidelines on special characters in the sticky, any guidelines on callsigns?

Now, if only I could fix the damn lag on some servers... But living in Australia, guess there's not much I can do about that. Maybe stop AntiVirus, but that's about it. I could blame Bill Gates, that always helps. It's all his fault.
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

Dont Kill Me wrote:Cool, this fixed it; it now accepts my Global login. For the record, the config.cfg file on Windows is in the
My Documents/My BZFlag Files/2.0/ folder (for version 2.x, obviously). Presumably it will be in a dot-folder in the Home directory on Unix/Linux.
This is one for the FAQ I think, and if the developers are around, for the included ReadMe troubleshooter.
Wasn't exactly sure where it was located, I wanted to make an answer quick and if I looked I would of found it. :)
Dont Kill Me wrote:Curiously, I tried it on a server requiring global login where I'd been unable to play before. It worked, but after some time I got kicked off with a Timed Out.
Like an idle kick? Hmmm... never heard of that but at least it's working most of the time. ;)
Dont Kill Me wrote:Question: Is this the official login server for all the game servers? ie will it always be http://my.BZFlag.org:81/db/ ?
That is where the server does all the backend stuff, like identifying people and telling the listserver someone joined. There are not two listservers, just that one uses a different port which bypasses your proxy. (to see servers and players go to my.bzflag.org)
Dont Kill Me wrote:Followup: Previously, I tried changing the Callsign here to No Killer, but it wouldn't accept it, it didn't say because it existed. Apart from the guidelines on special characters in the sticky, any guidelines on callsigns?
Hehe, we wouldn't want to "No Killer"s would we? ;) The sticky that has the guidelines is all the guidelines there is, AFAIK.
Dont Kill Me wrote:Now, if only I could fix the damn lag on some servers... But living in Australia, guess there's not much I can do about that. Maybe stop AntiVirus, but that's about it. I could blame Bill Gates, that always helps. It's all his fault.
Australia is a ways from most US or Europe servers... at least you can play, though. And it is Bill Gates fault - for everything. ;) ... :twisted: ... :shock: Heh.

Anyways, glad to see it's working. Cya on the battlefield! :D
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Dont Kill Me
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dont Kill Me »

I think it's mostly European servers where the lag is too great. The main transpacific cable goes from Melbourne though, so everything first goes 1000km south, across the Pacific to the US West Coast, and then the rest of the world. And then there's the game server's connection. So who knows, it's a bit of Voodoo.

Hope 2 see u on the battlefield, so I can fry your ass! But remember, Don't Kill Me!