each team gets one superflag

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
guyfawkes
Private
Private

each team gets one superflag

Post by guyfawkes »

I modified my bzfs server so that each team gets one type of flag -- e.g. whenever a red picks up a flag, it's always gm, when blue, it's always sw, etc. Code attached.

Note that it's neither elegant nor robust, and I don't promise it'll work for you.

A better implementation would allow an admin to /set what flag type each team got, and to turn this team-based restriction. Right now the flag types are hardcoded.

If you want to see it in action, visit bzflag.nequeo.net:5154

-guyfawkes
Attachments
bz-patch.txt
patch to force each team to have only one type of flag
(1.14 KiB) Downloaded 147 times
Toastline
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Toastline »

I went to the server before seeing this here, and I think i's an incredible feat and stuff. It's really cool!
OMNOM!
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

Now I'm figuring out how to apply it. :( Since you're on Mac maybe you can help me. And: will this work with CVS or can you make a CVS version? Please tell me command to get this in. :)
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Email me: bzmet…@gmail.com
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

yeah it's a great bit of modding, but i went on the server the other day, and personaly i hated not being able to pick up different flags
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

Spazzy Mcgee wrote:yeah it's a great bit of modding
Does anyone have any idea how to apply the patch? I've used CVS, but have never tried/used patches. I have no idea of what command to use. You there guyfawkes? :wink:
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Email me: bzmet…@gmail.com
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

I love it.

Post by optic delusion »

Yes. It's very nice to see modding done to game play. I think it's interesting that with just a slight mod to game play, you chose a very boring map.

Personally, I think the random way flags are distributed is the biggest thing holding BZFlag back today. If as much time was put into improving actual game PLAY, as they do making maps, the game would at least stay interesting once you get done exploring. I believe random flags were a bit of a cop-out by developers that happened years (and years) ago, and it's become written in stone now.
The problem with modding flags is it opens up all kinds of cheats. Any distributed code should be tested, and maybe even cleared, before it's publicly posted.

You will find alot of people are interested in you're patch. I've been trying to find info on patching and plugins for two days now, myself. So far I know plugins are better than patches.
I don't know why I've ignored the enhancements forum for so long....

It was a year ago I had this Idea....
New Years Eve- A giant flashing ball drops from the sky. when it hits, all players get the same flag. No dead player can re-spawn until there is only one still standing. Last man standing wins, A new ball drops.
Think of that with GM, Laser, or ShockWave....
Now think of reverse controls or jamming. Even the bad flags would be fun when you know everybody has the same one.
Interesting huh?
Sure would be an advanced application of your patch....
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Red GM activation bug

Post by optic delusion »

You've got the red team with a GM activation bug.
When you increase tankspeed, you have to also slightly increase GMactivation time. Right now if you drive full speed and fire GM your own shot kills you. The problem is that makes GM less powerful at short range, and your choice of maps requires it to be good in close quarters.
There are several variables connected to GM, and I can't tell you how they all interact, you have to experiment to get it just right, for your map.
You know how to test on port 5155, right?

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
The Vaxorcist
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by The Vaxorcist »

For linux, I think the command would be

Code: Select all

patch -Np1 foo.patch
(replace foo.patch with the name of the patch)
but you have OSX, and I might be wrong about the syntax of the command, maybe the options too...
Where's Darwin when you need him?

Lagger@Everywhere
guyfawkes
Private
Private

easier patch to apply

Post by guyfawkes »

If you're having trouble with the patch, try this. It's src/bzfs/FlagInfo.cxx -- replace yours with this one to use.

(This version also fixes the warnings about failure to include rules for some of the enum types.)

-guyfawkes
Attachments

[The extension cxx has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

guyfawkes
Private
Private

gm activation bug

Post by guyfawkes »

Yes, the activation time is short, which means you can kill yourself with the gm (especially if you're lagging I think).

Not sure how to fix this without making the gm bad at medium-short range.
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

easy

Post by optic delusion »

The easy fix on gmactivation is to slow your tanks...
when you set gmactivation, raise it in tiny increments, testing each time.
I also suggest raising gmturnradius, (or W/E it is) for your map. If wings is gonna be that fast so does the gm.
I thought the overall blockiness of your map kinda killed gm entirely, even without the gm bug. You have to maneuver into too perfect a spot to get a clear shot that will get around the tight buildings.

......But I completely loved the patch. I'd really like to see that patch on a more open map, with some of the other settings a bit more normalized, like allowing jump, for instance.

JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

this would make a good plugin.

if you would like I can convert the code into plugin format then it coudl easaly be added to any 2.0.3+ server with out needing to have it patched in.
ImageJeffM
Soraya
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Soraya »

i've played on the server a couple times now. its very interesting, although i don't know if i'd like it on a server with a lot of players.
I am a leaf on the wind.
dartman
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dartman »

I was playing it a bit, and IMO, it's stupid. But's IMO. ;) Besides I was really tired and no one was on. So you never know...
guyfawkes
Private
Private

Post by guyfawkes »

my opinion, it's very boring when there aren't at least 4 players, but very fun when there are lots of players.

mostly because of the rock-paper-scissors thing some people mentioned -- green's strong against blue, blue's strong against purple, purple's strong against green, and such.

(the past few days there haven't been enough people on for the fun part.)