Beginnings of a novelty map...

Previews and comments on future maps.
L4m3r
Hater of Everything
Hater of Everything

Beginnings of a novelty map...

Post by L4m3r »

Look familiar? at all? Yep. It's a crappy job of the green pipe found in most Mario games.

Oh, and it works, too. there's a teleporter hidden in there... fall in, you will be shot through it, and the pipe at the other end will spit you out conveniently onto the rim (most of the time, anyway). The pipes work like teleporters in that they function both ways, in or out (and limiting a given pipe to one or the other is fairly simple as well).

So, yes. I am going to try to make a Mario map. ridiculously high jumping is a must, of course (_jumpVelocity has to be at least 25 for that pipe to be reachable from the ground), and a few interesting obstacles and surprises are in order.

The map will have different platforms to play on- the ground will kill (which is why it's blacked out; the map will look suspended in the air). there will be a few different zones, connected by pipes, with different things in each spot.

The only thing I've thought of besides a normal battleground is an icy region... any other ideas? I suck at modelling, so if anyone would like to provide a Goomba or Koopa model (or anything else from the games), I would be grateful (and give credit of course).

Thoughts?
Optimism is just a milder alternative to denial.

Post by Guest »

Nice Idea. :D
Can't wait to see how it turns out! 8)
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

Awesome! Now add some blinking question boxes and mushrooms ;)
Lirael_Goldenhand
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Lirael_Goldenhand »

Maybe scatter a few coins around? Great map idea, by the way, I can't wait to see how it'll come out =D
Does the walker choose the path or does the path choose the walker?

In dust we trust.

You never saw this. It didn't happen. Don't tell anyone or you're a dead man.
TD-Linux
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by TD-Linux »

Make the coins drivethrough and put some kind of flag inside. Maybe try that with the ?-boxes too?

Make a transparent wall on each side, to somewhat limit tank movement to the normal 2D Mario world. Maybe when you look out, you see things like they would appear from inside a TV? Maybe a picture of you staring with glazed-over eyes at the TV, holding a controller. Throw some dirty socks around for effect. :D
L4m3r
Hater of Everything
Hater of Everything

Post by L4m3r »

TD-Linux wrote:Make the coins drivethrough and put some kind of flag inside. Maybe try that with the ?-boxes too?

Make a transparent wall on each side, to somewhat limit tank movement to the normal 2D Mario world. Maybe when you look out, you see things like they would appear from inside a TV? Maybe a picture of you staring with glazed-over eyes at the TV, holding a controller. Throw some dirty socks around for effect. :D
I could just make a small 2D segment for tanks to drive through, and place it inside a large, flat TV for other tanks to watch. :D

I like that idea for question boxes. Each one would just have a clump of flags on top of it. :)

I can make them flash... the original Mario Bros. did that, and the scrolling ? like in other games would be tough.
Optimism is just a milder alternative to denial.
I_Died_Once
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by I_Died_Once »

Somebody let me know when they go to make a Metroid style map.
...This has been a recording.
Kill Joy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Kill Joy »

how about a few of those smiley faced clouds in the air for an ariel battle? wings flag near a giant red feather
Not even I can control my mind.
Brennen The Great
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Brennen The Great »

nice nice!!! u need to have a pirana flower coming out of it tho :D and when u touch it u die.
Admin @ Pythonian Servers
Admin @ Brad's
Cop @ Silvercat
Cop @ Hepcat
Cop/SetGroup @ Louman's
Saturos
Art Master General
Art Master General

Post by Saturos »

That rox! PM me when it comes out. :D