Small lag. (fix?)

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
BinarySpike
Corporal
Corporal

Small lag. (fix?)

Post by BinarySpike »

I have a 128k (100Mb) connection.

ATi Rage 123 video card.

350Mhz, G3 iMac.
(128MB RAM)

And I have everything off.

I still have a small amount of lag. (208 20ms, 6% loss/ooo)

This is just enough to kick me on gu.de.

I turned bitmap fonts on last night and that worked niiiice...

So, I was wondering if there was anything else I could turn on/off that you can't see in the game or config?
(like bitmap fonts.)

I'm going to get 256k (200Mb) soon. but I might have a league match before then.
Dervish
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dervish »

The listing of 100Mb is just your LAN speed, not your Internet connection speed, so that doesn't really matter here.

Otherwise, it shouldn't be too much of a big deal. Most consumer DSL lines are 768Kbps, and the best analog modem line is 53.3Kbps. Yours is just a little better than double an analog line.
BinarySpike wrote:I'm going to get 256k (200Mb) soon. but I might have a league match before then.
There is no such thing as "200Mb". 10/100/1000Mb is the max bandwidth of a LAN (from your network interface to another connection). And traditional CAT-5/6 cables don't get the full amount any ways. ... but this has no bearing on your Internet connection speed/bandwidth.

Edit: sorry, had to edit many times, thought you were talking about hosting a server. I fixed my reply.
protected object myTank(){
foreach(noob in this.game){return frag(noob);}}
BinarySpike
Corporal
Corporal

Post by BinarySpike »

Sorry, typo.

I have a 100kb. (internet connection)

The 'm' was a typo.
(was thinking about gu's 100Mb.......)

I just want to reduce lag.
But I was wondering if there was anything like Bitmapped fonts that I could change?

(in the config file...)
BinarySpike
Corporal
Corporal

Post by BinarySpike »

Ok, it seems now that I can run bitmap fonts, enhanced radar, and Linear mipmap linear. withought having lag...

I guess it's my ISP...

I would still love to know if there is anything else I can turn off that I haven't already?