Server Guide

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
Sir_Pants
Private First Class
Private First Class

Server Guide

Post by Sir_Pants »

here is a server guide that i made for windows and mac for all you users that can't seem to figure out from all the previous discussions, also some screenies i put in plus the bzfs config file
Attachments
Creating A Server Mac&Windows.zip
unzip
(55.24 KiB) Downloaded 184 times
MONKEYPANTS.COM
Sir_Pants
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Sir_Pants »

who made this a sticky? just wondering
MONKEYPANTS.COM
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

Look out for the little board gnomes. They can be insidious, but if you treat them nice, they'll reward you, but i wouldnt' trust him.
Last edited by The Red Baron on Tue May 24, 2005 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beware! I'm going to clone myself and spread those clones all over the world!
Sir_Pants
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Sir_Pants »

haha alright, *pulls out gnome hunting rifle*, dont worry im prepared
MONKEYPANTS.COM
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

Sir_Pants wrote:haha alright, *pulls out gnome hunting rifle*, dont worry im prepared
No no... that makes em Mad! Feed em twinkies... keep em happy, and you should be fine. Just be cautious of handouts..
Sir_Pants
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Sir_Pants »

nah, i'd rather use the twinkies in a gnome twinky trap, so unsuspecting that they will walk right into it
MONKEYPANTS.COM
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

take a big hammer with you then... you'll never know when it might be needed.
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Pants Guide

Post by optic delusion »

Sir Pant's Mac guide was especially useful. I never coulda started a server without him. Another person who helped me with Macintosh issues was CannonBallGuy. I'm still pretty new to hosting, but I'd be willing to do what I can, to help other MAC users start servers.
I might put together a little MAC guide of my own.

There should be a guide titled "using the list server" it's pretty automatic, but the issues are complex. Does such a guide exist? I'll probably find it by the time I get an answer. lol

I'm hosting "delusional server" on a 450MHz IMacDV+(ruby) from summer 2001. I was extremely surprised how little processor it uses. Usually 20 to 40 percent. So as long as you have OSX you're ok to serve.

My one problem is I dont have OSX 10.3, just 10.2
will there be a stable build of bzflag2.0.2 for osx 10.2?
im stuck at bzflag 2.0.0
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
Sir_Pants
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Sir_Pants »

i think there is a stable build of bzflag2.0.2 for osx 10.2, private message binaryspike cause i believe he is running it
MONKEYPANTS.COM
I_Died_Once
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by I_Died_Once »

Was that a swipe at our server?
...This has been a recording.

Re: Pants Guide

Post by Guest »

optical-delusion wrote:Sir Pant's Mac guide was especially useful. I never coulda started a server without him. Another person who helped me with Macintosh issues was CannonBallGuy.
:oops: Oh, Hardly. :oops:

optical-delusion wrote:I might put together a little MAC guide of my own.
There should be a guide titled "using the list server" it's pretty automatic, but the issues are complex. Does such a guide exist?
I don't know, but let me know if you find anything.
I will be doing a guide on how to get bzfs going and also how to get it on the public list which is pretty easy once you know how, as soon as I have time which may be next week, or maybe 4/5 weeks from now.
elem3nt
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by elem3nt »

Hey, great guide! There were a few mistakes that I need to point out. First was the the option -helpfile won't run under bzfs and instead should be -helpmsg. Also, -autoteam needs a capital "T" (-autoTeam), otherwise it won't run either. Other than that, I found this guide very helpful in discovering all the options I could use. Thanks!!
BinarySpike
Corporal
Corporal

Post by BinarySpike »

I'm running a full fledge server under bzflag-2.0.2
almost had 2.0.3......
(I have all the jingle and jangle... /help, /report, etc. etc.)
(just the laaaaag!)

I'm working on a Project Builder, Project for the CVS then when 2.0.4 comes out I'll update it.

The main problem I have is the libcurl support.
For some reason it won't compile correctly.
(the PB Project will most likely fix that.)

If not I'm running an old version of libcurl...
BinarySpike
Corporal
Corporal

Post by BinarySpike »

To compile under 10.2 do this in terminal

1. cd into the source folder
(example)
cd desktop/bzflag-2.0.2.20050318

2. type this:
(If you have Mac os 10.2)
./autogen.sh && ./configure --disable-curl && make

(If you have Mac os 10.3)
./autogen.sh && ./configure && make
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

Idunno Spike,
I spent twenty minutes looking for
bzflag-2.0.2.20050318 , the download page shows that date but the file downloaded doesn't include the date,
it's not the .dmg, its not the file inside the .dmg.
It's gotta be the cvs build, where do i get that?
I looked and looked in the cvs files, did searches, it's nowhere I know of.
It'll be easier for me to go borrow a copy of OSX 10.3 install. the only reason I hadn't done so before is, it only became important three days ago.

This is just one additional example of why a server how-to is necessary.
There are myriad specific examples that a user needs to find answers to, understand, and implement. If we all get together, and put a text together.....

We don't have to start from scratch, at least 70 percent of the info is already out there. All we need to do is collate, edit, then fill in the blanks.

Here's a very quick outline.
1. Link to jeffm's sticky.
2. Link to man page of bzfs
3. T1 connections can be ignored I think, so discuss resolving dynamic IP issues. Discuss router issues and opening ports. We can find links for this.
4. Edit SirPants' post. Put some extra stuff in Pants.
5. Create a little something for after they've got it working. This killed me. I had it working, I didn't know to use the shutdown command, it drove the listserver, and me, crazy.

So you see, it's mostly done already, all we gotta do is put it all in one place and polish it up a little.

I think it's important to include at least one newbie <me> in the process, because I can say "I didn't get that at all." when experienced users put in something like "use the cvs build that cannot be found." I can also ask lots of stupid questions, (I'm really good at that) that other newbs might ask. ....things like "Should I have read that?"

It's just gotta be put all in one place!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil:
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
Sir_Pants
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Sir_Pants »

it is almost summer, i will make a majorly revised guide, and yes -helpfile doent work, on mac or windows, has to be -helpmsg, that kinda ticked me off, and for macs a .rtf extension on any of the server files will not work either
MONKEYPANTS.COM
1badplayer
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by 1badplayer »

ok. i am starting to get this stuff. i am still way behind. someone needs to make step by step instrtions for us morons. "running server on mac osx for dumbies" i would love to know how to do it. but i am missing a step or got a wrong code somewhere. if someone realy want to put this together they should contact me so i can tell them what i dont understand. i am probly missing something realy easy, that you guys take for granted.
Brennen The Great
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Brennen The Great »

THANK YOU SO MUCH THIS HELPS ME A LOT I LOVE U SIR PANTS!
Admin @ Pythonian Servers
Admin @ Brad's
Cop @ Silvercat
Cop @ Hepcat
Cop/SetGroup @ Louman's
Sir_Pants
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Sir_Pants »

1badplayer: for macs there is a program i believe that is called "grabber" it allows you to take screenshots of what you are seeing if you can take a screenshot of the error you are running into and would be able to post it then it would be a great help to us mac users/owners of servers to help you
MONKEYPANTS.COM

Post by Guest »

ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

feed em twinkies?