What the world needs....

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
SilentSwan
Private First Class
Private First Class

What the world needs....

Post by SilentSwan »

...is a server that does NOT allow wings. This is the one thing that appears to be lacking in the 2.x server list. Anyone up to the task?

I'd gladly do it myself if I had the financial resources available right now to get a server running on a fast connection. But I don't. Anyone?
Dervish
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dervish »

I'm glad someone spoke up about Wings. I think Wings is probably the worst flag we have in terms of balance. It has a tendency to unbalance the other flags.

It's good on servers and maps specifically designed for it (like the map with all mountains), but really unbalanced in normal CTF or FFA maps. I wish it was never introduced to 2.0.x
protected object myTank(){
foreach(noob in this.game){return frag(noob);}}
SilentSwan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SilentSwan »

Dervish DuKot wrote:I'm glad someone spoke up about Wings. I think Wings is probably the worst flag we have in terms of balance. It has a tendency to unbalance the other flags.

It's good on servers and maps specifically designed for it (like the map with all mountains), but really unbalanced in normal CTF or FFA maps. I wish it was never introduced to 2.0.x
Thank you *very* much for backing up my position. The unbalanced nature of wings is precisely my (and others') chief complaint. Other flags, such as GM and Laser, have counter-flags (stealth, cloak). Wings does not (except maybe GM, but even with that, Wings are difficult to hit).

It provides an unfair advantage, in my opinion, and amounts to a form of legitimized cheating.

Post by Guest »

Then what we need is a flag to counter wings...
I guess if you could tilt the tannk and shoot up....
But then, thats more than just another flag.
Maybe a cannon type thing where your bullets go up at an agle and then drop...?
Or maybe, if you have wings, you also bet fatter like with obesity, or you move slower?
Supertanker
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Supertanker »

I think that the only thing wings should be allowed to have is the directional movement in air. no mulitpile jumps.
SilentSwan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SilentSwan »

343_Guilty_Spark wrote:I think that the only thing wings should be allowed to have is the directional movement in air. no mulitpile jumps.
That sounds like a good idea to me. One jump is all you get, but you can turn, forward/reverse... Sort of an enhanced jump.

Post by Guest »

You can make it do that...
I think maybe 2/3 jumps is good on some maps too...
It all depends on the map...
But I deffinatly think it should only be used on certain maps, and not unlimited like it is on some servers now where you just keep going up and up.......
Supertanker
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Supertanker »

Yea, or maybey even make it like OO, no backwards
SilentSwan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SilentSwan »

CannonBallGuy wrote:You can make it do that...
I think maybe 2/3 jumps is good on some maps too...
It all depends on the map...
But I deffinatly think it should only be used on certain maps, and not unlimited like it is on some servers now where you just keep going up and up.......
Well, doing it that way would make it no different from what we currently have. It's the multiple jumps that cause the most problems.
Supertanker
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Supertanker »

yea, cause ya just go up and up and up....read the other thing about wings for an intresting story.
the enemy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by the enemy »

And as in the other thread, multiple wing jumps must have been a conscious decision of the map maker or server owner - it isn't the default.

Further up someone said that GM is a way to get someone witih Wings. It sort of is. But the problem with it is at the same time Wings were introduced in 2.0, GM's stopped being able to shoot close up. So on a server with multiple jump counts, a tactic for Wings to shoot someone with GM is to fly until you're above them and then drop right in front of them. Unless they drop the GM, they can't shoot you.

It's meant to be a server setting, but if you reduce _gmActivationTime you tend to blow yourself up too easily if you're moving, or particularly jumping, as you fire.

I think the GM activation change was a bad idea even if it's sorta meant to make the game more realistic.