Operating Temps

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Operating Temps

Post by RPG »

I have a case that displays the tempature of the computer right between the CPU and the heatsink, and whenever I play BZFlag the tempature always soars above 90F. Today, it hit an all time high at 99F. It's strange because any other program I'm running, wether it be video editing or Firefox, it stays between 80-90F.

Is it normal for BZFlag to make my computer that hot? It's never passed 95 before... until now. It's back down to 90F 5 minutes after my game.
Lan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Lan »

It's just because the computer is sweating at the suspense of the game :)
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

3d applications cause the GPU on your video card to be used as well. That will generate more heat.

Generaly the more the CPU is used the hoter it gets. Bz will do a number of math calcuations as fast as the CPU can run ( to feed that hungry GPU ) so that can increase base CPU heat as well. 90-100 seems pefectly fine for a load temp. My AMD processor runs about 45c and wont' thermal alarm out untill it gets over 80c. Your probably just a bit over ambient, and that's REALY good.

firfox does little with the CPU, video editing does more with ram and hard disks then CPU ( shuffling all that data around ).
ImageJeffM
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

Aha... just started with the thermometer, so I didn't really know standard operating temps. I guess 100 is pretty good.
BIYA
Corporal
Corporal

Post by BIYA »

Me and spldart had a LONG conversatoin on how we overclocked and cooled our comps. Since my comp has low memory and a small harddirve and the only way I could (At the moment cause I know I could have just bought more memory) sqeeze somemore juice out of those parts was to overclock and get a nice cooling system. My temp stays around 60 to 70 degrees... Now spldart has to tell you what his comp has all I can remember is that he put a Chevy truck radiator core to cool his comp..... :lol-old:
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

lol... I tried overclocking my computer just slightly, and all the sudden it was screwing up the simiplist of tasks. Spldart said it was something with my northbridge connection. Whatever that is, i'm not trying it again.
Dervish
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dervish »

http://insight.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/ser ... 627,00.htm

Personally, I wouldn't want to keep my PC environment's temperature that high. I'd suggest making a goal for 80 degrees F (26.7 degrees C). If your PC was something as mundane as a TV, 100 degrees F would be ok. However, your PC is a bit more prone to a lower MTBF at these high temperatures.
protected object myTank(){
foreach(noob in this.game){return frag(noob);}}
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

Heh... 100 F is the tempature on the surface of the chip, not the core.
toaster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by toaster »

RPG wrote:Heh... 100 F is the tempature on the surface of the chip, not the core.
You really mean the chip carrier. The chip is the core. The carrier is the ceramic/plastic device surrounding the chip.
Dervish
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dervish »

Ahh, sorry RPG. I misread your post. 100 degrees on the chip's casing isn't a problem (casing, not core I assume as toaster pointed out above). AMD and Intel CPUs have additional sections to help boost the speed of processing code for multimedia (graphics, 3D rendering, audio, etc.), so it makes sense that the CPU's casing temp rises when you do a lot of 3D rendering in an app like BZFlag.
protected object myTank(){
foreach(noob in this.game){return frag(noob);}}