Groups

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
I_Died_Once
Special Forces
Special Forces

Groups

Post by I_Died_Once »

Having trouble finding the wiki on groups. Looking to find how to implement them, details on permissions, and how to assign people to 'em. All that. I'm sure its sitting right under my nose, but I can't find it.

Much love
...This has been a recording.
SportChick
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SportChick »

Groups must be created by a board admin. There is a forum called "request your groups here" - go there and ask for what you want. Once you've done that, you'll be set up as the group mod and it will be obvious (and easy) to add/delete people from there.
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

There are also two groups that are defined automatically, EVERYONE and VERIFIED. Add those two groups to your groups file and you can give (or take away) their permissions.

More on the details of groups can be found at the bottom of the BZFS man page: http://my.bzflag.org/bzfman.cgi?bzfs.6s
DTRemenak
General
General

Post by DTRemenak »

OK, basics first:

There are two kinds of groups, local and global.

Global groups are created here, and are usually SERVERNAME.GROUPNAME; local groups are created on your server, and are of the form LOCAL.GROUPNAME.

Global groups
People are added to global groups from the group control panel on this board, by the moderator of the group (usually whoever requested the group's creation).

Local groups
People are added to local groups by the server admin using the /setgroup command or adding the group name manually in the userdb file (pointed to by the -userdb option in bzfs).

Default groups
There are three default groups, which can never be removed, but can have their permissions changed:
LOCAL.ADMIN: full priviledges, just like using /password.
VERIFIED: has authenticated himself with the correct password
EVERYONE: uhh....everyone.

Permissions
Permissions from both kinds of groups are set by editing the groupdb file (pointed to by the -groupdb option in bzfs). The format of this file is:
GROUP: PERMISSION [PERMISSION [PERMISSION ...]]]

Code: Select all

LOCAL.TRUSTED: SETVARS KICK BAN PLAYERLIST
FRIENDLYSERVER.COPS: KICK BAN PLAYERLIST 
LOCAL.COPS: KICK SHORTBAN PLAYERLIST
EVERYONE: SPAWN TALK ...
Using groups
1. Create a userdb and groupdb file (they can be blank for now).
2. Enable the -userdb and -groupdb options for bzfs.
3. Add group permissions to your groupdb file, as seen above. Only bother defining EVERYONE, VERIFIED, or LOCAL.ADMIN if you want to change their permissions, usually the defaults are good enough and you can just add whatever groups you need. I only have two groups in my groupdb files, LOCAL.TRUSTED (for local cops) and DEVELOPERS (a global group for the devs).
4. Add users to any local groups you've created, either by editing the userdb file or using the /setgroup command.
BIYA
Corporal
Corporal

Post by BIYA »

I told you vader that you needed to request the groups at that forum and I also told you that DTRemenak knew how to do it...
I_Died_Once
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by I_Died_Once »

Could someone post or private message me some sample groupdb and userdb files in actual use so I can compare and get it down?

Thanks
...This has been a recording.
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

Here's groups.txt file.

As you can see, I have 3 groups. EVERYONE (not registered players), VERIFIED (registered players) and RPGCOPS (defined on this board). Each group gets special permissions.
Attachments
groups.txt
Happy grouping.
(370 Bytes) Downloaded 139 times