bz IMAGES

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
Cjohn
Private First Class
Private First Class

bz IMAGES

Post by Cjohn »

Has anyone customized what their tanks look like? Or changed images such as the laser or the moutnains? I was kinda curious because the normal images are kinda crusty and I think the game could improve if the images were better. Anyone? If so lets see the screenshots. Thanks
elem3nt
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by elem3nt »

Of course!! I felt the same way, too. I just had to get my hands dirty and mod some of the graphics!

Here are some pics of me playing on Hepcat Overlord the other night.

ImageImageImageImage

The textures for the basic geometry (towers etc.) I simply found on the web. The mountains are from the "extra" graphics in bzflag 1.10.6. The bullets are from a skinpack from www.bzflag.de. The tank graphics I made myself in Photoshop. I'm sure there are many others that I've modded but just can't remember which. I haven't changed the pyramid, grass, or flag textures simply because I haven't found anything I liked.

I could upload some of the textures if you wanted.

Elem3nt
Saturos
Art Master General
Art Master General

Post by Saturos »

I use these two combined: ( from www.bzflag.de )

1) http://bzflag.saturos.de/fun/bz_skinpack_v1.zip
It has transparent explosions (you can look through them), improved tank-textures with increased contrast, "yoshi's island"-styled mountains, different bases, a new wall-texture on which you can better see the tanks, a cool pyramid-texture and transparent shots. But I prefer the smiley-shots which are available on www.bzflag.de too.

2) http://bzflag.saturos.de/fun/bz_smilies.zip
I allways have to laugh if I get shot by such a bullet. ;)

Screenhots:
http://saturos.de/projects/upload/files/bzfi0001.png
http://saturos.de/projects/upload/files/bzfi0002.png
http://saturos.de/projects/upload/files/bzfi0003.png
wiz
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by wiz »

I made some tank textures (tanks_v2.zip) that I think are much more visible at a distance than the default skins.

As an example, here is the green tank skin.Image

I also have another pack (circuit_tanks.zip) that give the tanks kind of a "Tron" feel to them. I'm not as fond of them, but here they are for anyone who likes them.
Attachments
tanks_v2.zip
(376.78 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
circuit_tanks.zip
(177.24 KiB) Downloaded 111 times
1veedo
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by 1veedo »

I'm just curioius, where are these stored on Linux?
1veedo (libcurl.so.2) I have version 3!
wiz
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by wiz »

Not positive how linux stores its BZFlag files, but I think if you go to whereever your BZFlag is installed, you will have a data directory. Create a directory named "alternate" underneath data and put the new skins there.

Technically you "could" overwrite the ones in the data directory, but using the alternate directory is cleaner.
elem3nt
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by elem3nt »

Wow! Those circuit skins you supplied are pretty neat.

*goes to try out new tank skins*
The Gecko
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by The Gecko »

I think it would be great if it was possible for anyone to paste a small picture to their tank. The picture would be placed on the tank in some predifined area, always the same place on every tank. Then you could recognize players instantly by their "tank art." (As long as they didn't change it)

You could take this idea even farther, make an item on the main menu of bzflag, "Tank/Player Profile." This would alow players to edit the tanks to a limited degree and keep track of their stats.

Tank Options:
-Tank shape (the size wouldn't change, just the look)
-Skin pattern (You cannot choose a color for your tank, just a pattern)
-Unique Pic (Explained above)
-Bullet color (does the bullet color matter? All bullets kill you...)
-Kill Text/Pic (Your personal message and or pic that is displayed on the main screen of a player killed by you.)
1veedo
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by 1veedo »

Not everybody is going to change things like that though.

Maybe -kill, and alot of poeple might go for unique Pic...but tank pattern and shape?

You can jsut right click to see who it is...
1veedo (libcurl.so.2) I have version 3!
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

But having your own customized tank would make the game feel more individual and more 'you'. I like the idea.
wiz
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by wiz »

Downloading the huge world files and textures on some of the maps out there takes long enough. I shudder to think what it would be like potentially having to download 20,30 or 40+ individual tank skins when connecting to a busy server.
Cjohn
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Cjohn »

Elem3nt wrote:Of course!! I felt the same way, too. I just had to get my hands dirty and mod some of the graphics!

ImageImageImageImage

The textures for the basic geometry (towers etc.) I simply found on the web. The mountains are from the "extra" graphics in bzflag 1.10.6. The bullets are from a skinpack from www.bzflag.de. The tank graphics I made myself in Photoshop. I'm sure there are many others that I've modded but just can't remember which. I haven't changed the pyramid, grass, or flag textures simply because I haven't found anything I liked.

Elem3nt
where can I get these images? they rock. anyone else have them besides element? I love the brick texture, the tile, bullets, etc
Cjohn
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Cjohn »

Elem3nt wrote:Of course!! I felt the same way, too. I just had to get my hands dirty and mod some of the graphics!

ImageImageImageImage

Elem3nt
where can I get these images? they rock. anyone else have them besides element? I love the brick texture, the tile, bullets, etc
elem3nt
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by elem3nt »

Here you go.

Images (~500k)
http://www.freewebs.com/davidmigl/images.zip

Mountains (~750k)
http://www.freewebs.com/davidmigl/mountains.zip

Copy & paste them to your BzFlag/data folder. you might want to make a backup of any other existing images.
the enemy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by the enemy »

wiz wrote:Downloading the huge world files and textures on some of the maps out there takes long enough. I shudder to think what it would be like potentially having to download 20,30 or 40+ individual tank skins when connecting to a busy server.
It could easily be a client option.
Cjohn
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Cjohn »

can i make it rain bubbles???????
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

Yes.

If you have set privlages, type /set _rainType bubble