New to BZFLAG, love it, couple questions.

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
spldart
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

New to BZFLAG, love it, couple questions.

Post by spldart »

My brother introduced me to this game Sunday and I instantly loved it :D
After playing a bit I decided I wanted to serve a game inside my lan that I could also maybe invite outsiders into occasionally.

I'm running the server with these flags:
-sb
-j
-mp 10
-ms 10
-p 5154
-password xxxxxxx
-q
+r
-requireudp
-s 10
-sa
-spamtime 10
-srvmsg "Sweetness"
-st 10
-sw 1
-synctime
-world "C:\Program Files\BZFlag2.0.0\megadome.bzw"

This is just a real quick selection of what I thought I might like.
I did the initial setup, experimentation and final testing from my main machine machine in my home lan. A dually barton, liquid cooled rig running processors at 2240mhz each. I got the thing running and was able to get all my other local lan machines to log in and play each other. Kids loved it :lol-old:

Here is where my first question comes in...
I want to move the game server off this xp pro rig and onto my internet server. An old Shuttle mobo with a 500 mhz k6 processor. On it I'm currently running a stripped down 98se install with winroute handling router/firewall duties and abyss handling my personal web serving duties. The machine isn't used otherwise. It just sits there and handles the connection to my cable modem with winroute and abyss and distributes inet access throughout the rest of my base 100mhz lan. Max I'd expect inside the lan will probably be 5 players and at most 2 or 3 invited in from the internet.

Would this machine handle the game server occasionally if the player count never exceeds about 8 users?

I've already poked holes in my firewall. But any potential caveats of unforseen problems hosting?

Oh.. And any advice on tweaks and shortcut/tips are welcome.
Thanks.
bryjen
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by bryjen »

The server doesn't require a big processor or gigs of RAM, so "recycled" hardware will often do nicely. The limiting factor is the network speed. Of course 100BT is no problem :) A typical cable/DSL line will probably only support a handful of remote players. There have been various reports that bzfs on Windows is fine for LAN games, but sometimes flakey when serving players across the internet. Also, Windows 9x/ME are usually advised against. However, that may just be an issue with their multi-tasking and trying to run the server and a client on the same machine.
spldart
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by spldart »

Well. It sounds like this may work. The old server will not be running a client, just the serving app. As I mentioned at most my cable modem will handle 3 internet players at one time. The rest will be inside the lan.
Thanks for the input. I'll post results as I get them :wink:

Any others with input?
spldart
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by spldart »

Success!!!
I have bzfs with map and switches all running my my server. It seems to be playing nice with winroute and abyss server on 98se :)
I figure I will test tomorrow and try to log into my home server from work. But I was able to log into my local server by addressing my cable modem IP:port instead of the local IP. I suppose that's a good sign ;)

Is there any precautions I should take to make this secure?
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

Well, you should make sure your firewall is open on the port that the BZFlag server is running on (5154) and you should set up your router to forward all traffic that arrives on your BZFlag port (5154) to the server computer.

That should get you running outside of your LAN correctly.
Last edited by RPG on Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
spldart
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by spldart »

New .conf

-sb
-j
-mp 10
-ms 10
-p 5154
-set _wingsJumpCount 6
-vars vars.txt
+f GM{6}
+f L{4}
+f MG{6}
+f WG{6}
+f SW{4}
-password sneaky
-q
+r
-requireudp
-s 10
-sa
-spamtime 10
-srvmsg "Sweetness"
-st 10
-sw 1
-synctime
-world "C:\bz\BZFlag2.0.0\megadome.bzw"

I know I know... I'm getting abnoxious.
Lots of flying = tank aerial dogfights = 8)

BTW. Rock solid on 98se for hours of multiplayer gaming. Satellite rigs are all XP.
spldart
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by spldart »

RPG wrote:Well, you should make sure your firewall is open on the port that the BZFlag server is running on (5154) and you should set up your router to forward all traffic that arrives on your BZFlag port (5154) to the server computer.

That should get you running outside of your LAN correctly.
CRAP.. Your right. I had to do port forwarding/mapping to run emule on one of my machines in order to get decent connections on that machine.

BRB... goin to forward tcp and udp on 5154 to the game server.
Last edited by spldart on Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
spldart
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by spldart »

Done... Thanks :D
Woulda sucked if NAT fubar'ed my experiment tomorrow :shock:
spldart
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by spldart »

Well.. No Go. I can't log into my home server from here at work :(
Firewall is open on 5154 and those ports are mapped directly to that machine. Here at work I can log onto other public flagservers, just not my own.

Guess I'll go through my firewall logs thoroughly when I get home...

Any thoughts from anyone?
spldart
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by spldart »

Ok.. My bad
I had to rewrite a couple of rules in the firewall. But I'm totally online now :D