Fixed Mac Crash Problem

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
Scorch
Private First Class
Private First Class

Fixed Mac Crash Problem

Post by Scorch »

I have found the reason! It is not because Mac's are cruddy computers! it is for another reason! It's because they are too fast for BZFlag! :D (no joke)

go to the Apple Menu > System Preferences... > Enery Saver (the one with the light bulb over it) > Click Custom up top in Optimize Enery Settings then visit Power Adapter in Settings For: and go the bottom and click Processor Speed to reduced then do that again for Battery Power!

ok there you have it the Mac's are Back!
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

OK, I have always lived with the fact that Macs suck. What would reducing the processor speed help with? Besides making the computer worse?
Scorch
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Scorch »

because BZFlag is too slow for the Mac so the Mac's proccessor goes to fast for BZFlag so BZFlag chickens out and lock's up ;)
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

I would say that is not the reason bzflag locks up....

You just find a temporary work-around, or patch, a band aid to stop the blood, when the real problem is a lack of vitamin K. (thats an anology there :!: )
Beware! I'm going to clone myself and spread those clones all over the world!
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

scorch that makes NO sense what so ever. If you knew anything at all about computers you'd know that software dosnt' determine speed. Many mac users are running fine on systems a LOT faster then yours. The problem is probably due to your 10.2 to 10.3 upgrade and some issues with that seting in your kernel when your little laptop goes into power saving mode. Untill you try a clean 10.3 you will not know what the solution to your problem is. As The Rad Baron pointed out, your just poking around randomly at stuff untill something changes. A number of people have told you that your upgrade may be flawed, even the people at apple.
ImageJeffM
toaster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by toaster »

Scorch wrote:because BZFlag is too slow for the Mac so the Mac's proccessor goes to fast for BZFlag so BZFlag chickens out and lock's up ;)
Cute. In reality, this sounds like you could be having one of several possible problems:

a. some hardware compatibility issue between your graphics card and the motherboard, perhaps a clocking speed issue

b. a conflict with the drivers that handle power management

c. perhaps a corrupted file n the power management driver or your OpenGL libraries.

d. memory problems can also show symptoms like this, but that seems less likely if you're able to use the Mac for other applications without problems.

e. you could also be experiencing a heat problem that shows up when the computer is pushed to its max.
-toaster
"So there I was, all alone, facing all of the enemy. I started driving in circles, until I had them surrounded, and then I escaped in the confusion."
tadd
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

I can't say it is perfect on my mac but

Post by tadd »

I have a dual 2Ghz G5 with 10.3.8 upgraded from 10.2.whatever this thing came with. The v2 game is pretty darn solid here except that I get dumped due to lag about 10% of the time I switch from full screen to windowed. Also, i noticed that if I use the -solo option and then go into observer that I get an abort of some kind. I have had it hang the GUI on the computer when the network is cruddy. that's my ISP's fault. The method I used to fix that is to SSH in from another computer and kill the process.
I also run the game on a G4/400 with 10.3.7 and it is reliable there too, with the same problem with the observer/solo relationship i think. I haven't been too meticulous with that issue.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 800 character limit